Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

*** V12 Hair distortion and immovable bone ***

Hi.

I have noticed some strangeness in hair from time to time and the attached file is an example of a current problem. Dynamics and collision detection are turned off yet I am getting this distortion occuring, as if collision detection were activated. Any ideas?

This model still requires alot of work on the geometry and rig but I have a problem that someone may be able to shed some light on. For some reason the head bone refuses to work in an action or choreography. I have tried creating a pose slider to get around this but that refuses to work too. Any ideas what could be preventing me from rotating the head bone?

Thanks for any ideas! :)

[attachmentid=18584]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, nice model, Paul!

The hair problem, I don't have a clue...that is strange.

On the head....what rig are you using? I'm thinking that no matter what rig it is it'll probably take actually looking at it to figure out that problem.

Wow, I was absolutely no help at all...not yet at least.

You think that's bad? I'll be no help too *and* I'll risk sending the thread off-topic by pointing out that there's also some weirdness going on with wing transparency about two thirds the way though...

I reported this in AM Reports for version 12 for both AM and NetRender. In 13 AM works but NetRender was also reported. This issue goes back a ways.

There is no work around that I know of however, note that by circling the camera around or the model around that the hairs must constantly change to face the camera. In one AM version -- I don't remember which on -- this 'jumping' did not ocure when you did not constantly turn the model in relationship to the camera.

Hope this helps,

Rusty

Big red face! :(

Sorry folks! My mistake.

I went back and checked the project again and found that collisions and dynamics were indeed ON! :o

On the head....what rig are you using? I'm thinking that no matter what rig it is it'll probably take actually looking at it to figure out that problem.

Thanks, David! The problem with the head bone persists. I am using TSM2 but I think that the problem is related to additional constraints that I have added. Maybe the eye target, or facial bones, are sitting at the wrong level in the hierarchy. I will take a closer look.

You think that's bad? I'll be no help too *and* I'll risk sending the thread off-topic by pointing out that there's also some weirdness going on with wing transparency about two thirds the way though...

I can't review the clip at the moment but if you are refering to the tip of the wings, bending and becoming more opaque, that is caused by 3-point patches. I will be replacing the wings and will avoid 3-point patches unless they are very discrete and flat. If you are refering to the effect created when the wings overlap in the view I agree that it needs some work. It looks like it might be an additive effect. I don't know but I would be interested in hearing any suggestions on avoiding it. ;)

I reported this in AM Reports for version 12 for both AM and NetRender. In 13 AM works but NetRender was also reported. This issue goes back a ways.

Thanks, Rusty! Yes I have seen the distorting hair many times but luckily it was only my stupidity this time. It is good to know that it has been resolved in A:M 13. :)

You were all of great help! Just getting someone else, who understands these things, to look at the problem is a confidence booster at times so thank you all! :D

I can't review the clip at the moment but if you are refering to the tip of the wings, bending and becoming more opaque, that is caused by 3-point patches. I will be replacing the wings and will avoid 3-point patches unless they are very discrete and flat. If you are refering to the effect created when the wings overlap in the view I agree that it needs some work. It looks like it might be an additive effect.
Yes. If you single-step through it then you'll see that on odd frames where a wing overlaps an arm or a leg, the semi-obscured part of the arm or leg goes very bright and uniform. It also appears on some frames of wing-over-wing. It's not on every such frame - it looks as if it happens when the offending wing is square-on to the camera.

Yes. If you single-step through it then you'll see that on odd frames where a wing overlaps an arm or a leg, the semi-obscured part of the arm or leg goes very bright and uniform. It also appears on some frames of wing-over-wing. It's not on every such frame - it looks as if it happens when the offending wing is square-on to the camera.

Okay. Yes, I see what you mean. Not pretty! I hope that I can get around that when I come to concentrating on the wings and surface properties. For now I am just constantly tweaking the model and rig and testing.

If anyone else has seen this unnatural effect please chime in. I guess that I should report it to A:M Reports but I will wait until I have played with the surface properties a bit more.

Oh! I found the problem with the head bone! It turns out that I was trying to manipulate the head bone, which should have been hidden, when in fact I should have been manipulating the head controller. The head bone was obscuring the head controller.The penny took a while to drop. It must be something to do with all this heat. Well, that's my excuse anyway. ;)

Paul-

I've had issues like that where a bone won't turn too, using TSM2. Usually it is my fault. Remember, there are 2 head bones after rigging... 1- the original head bone that you attached mass to and 2- the TSM head bone that Raf put there to animate the head. You may be inadvertantly grabbing bone 1...which will not move. The solution is to dig thru all the spine bones(in the model) until you find the original head bone, and turn OFF it's visibility. Then you can't grab it in an action or chor... you'll only grab the 'right' bone which will move.

I apologise if this is not the solution or it has already been discussed.