Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First Spline Model made in AM

jfrasier

hey everyone,

I just wanted to post my first model in AM, and get your opinions. This is going to be a surfer character in a :30 second commercial south park like spot. So I will be exporting out to 2D. It took me roughly 3 days of frustration to learn the finer points of modeling in splines, but once you get used to it....well it is great.

This model was made freehand, no rotoscoping. I do have a character sketch I am going by but since it is a simple toon, I didnt want to roto it. I started this around 10am yesterday and this is what I have so far. I have to confess, I hijacked the hands from another model, I just dont have time to model hands lol.

So I would love to hear your input. I still have to clean up some lines, but it is a pretty clean spline. No dangling threads.

Thanks all,

JF

post-9323-1150831168_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Congratulations! Good start.

[attachmentid=17607]

the orange spline looks like a problem. Don't have more than two splines going thru one CP.

And you could probably delete the green spline since you don't have it on the other side

surferspline.png

As Robcat said, good start. My first attempts at modelling a human were utter rubbish.

I see that he's not symmetrical. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it means that the shoulders will flex slightly differently when you come to animate him. Who knows, maybe that's the way to quirky, unique characterisation!

You have several examples of splines simply coming to a dead-end (the CPs with three and five splines leading to them). You might find these give rise to visible creases (pinch-points if you like) when it comes to rendering. I suggest you read up on "five point patches" - use them for those topologically awkward areas such as where arms meet torsos.

The very grid-like layout of the lower torso splines could be a problem if you plan to animate them, depending on what you're planning on having him do. For example, if he was more of a fat slob character, it would be better to have the splines flow around the body curves. For your surfer dude, that's probably not important.

You could probably cut down on the number of splines in the lower part of his torso too. If you need to link up a detailed area of the body with a less detailed area, read up on "hooks".

That said, there's no definite "right way" to model a body - a lot of it comes down to personal taste and what your character is being designed to do. Or, to put it another way, don't rush to "fix" this guy - play with what you have and learn from it. Good splinesmanship takes some learning, but don't let that put you off!

I circled what you want to focus on. Spline continuity is a big deal in AM. If you have come from another app, this is a point that will take a little getting used to. Splines must have a reason for their placement and must flow into each other as smoothly as possible. I attached a quick idea as to how you might layout the splines and make use of a 5 point patch.

Surfer_wSplines_redo.jpg

And don't forget if you use the Copy Flip Attache tool, you only have to model half of the character!

NOW YOU TELL ME!!! lol

Yeah the shoulders have been a nightmare to get to look decent. I straightened up the splines some more and now I am working on the face. The next step is the displacement maps and stuff. But here is a new version after working on all your recommendations. I can't believe how easy this software is to get comfortable with. I remember it being a nightmare to learn how to use the materials editor in 3DS. This is simple click and it appears...very nice.

Thanks everyone

Oh and here is a toon render. I am getting close to the south park feel they want I think..

post-9323-1150869022_thumb.jpg

post-9323-1150869624_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info on 5 point splines P..I read up on them and can't wait to work with them in shoulders. I just got done watch the dvd on modeling and it seriously helped. I updated the head model, and I think my new version is looking better.

Man if anyone is new to AM and want to learn it fast I would really recommend those DVDs. Especially learning those hotkeys

Well it is 6:30 am and I need to crash.

post-9323-1151144875_thumb.jpg

Hm... you are using way to many splines... you could use half as many or less and you would get the same result...

You should try to avoid CPs and try to model with the curves of splines more...

Keep in mind: You cann make a cycle out of 4 CPs... and if you need more, you can insert the CPs where you need them.

A good way to avoid high amounts of splines is to use there curve-behaviour and to use hooks when you need a higher resolution at certain parts of you model.

I think you made the model by using the lathe-tool, right? you can set the subdivision-level of lath down under options-> modeling...

To give you a start. Look at his hair. You could do that hairpart with 2 or 3 intersection. So you have 2 intersections(try to use the bias-handlers...) instead of 5.

You will have faster renderingtimes, you can animate your character easier and so on.

It is however a pretty nice try for the first time... keep on doing...

*Fuchur*