Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My 2006 Showreel

Hey folks!

I've not been around these boards in a while, so I thought I'd post this and start being more active again...well until life rears its ugly head again :)

Below are a couple of links to my latest reel. The work is a combination of AM stuff and Maya stuff as well as some 2d bits thrown in for good measure, comments and criticisms always welcome!

Large size (48mb Quicktime)

Small size (8mb Quicktime)

iliadic.com - updated website

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

That was nice.

Great variety!

You are obviously versatile and able to animate and visually communicate in a variety of styles.

I also liked how the images synced with the audio (especially the background music).

If any crits...

I did find myself thinking some of the clips were obvious test pieces (which is fine for a showreel of course).

I think I would prefer to have all elements look as if they were out of production especially as several of your shots looked like they might have come straight off of a TV ad or short. Those elements, the robot scenes and the ipod animations etc. looked pretty polished.

This'll be an odd thing for me to say but I think the shots that betray they were made in Animation:Master are the weakest in the Showreel. I'm talking about those that have the default blue background and the standard ground plane. Best to replace those elements with something wholy your own.

Nice job. :)

Much great stuff in your Showreel! Especially the robot

None of the links are working for me :angry:

They worked for me. Have you tried to "Right click" and "Save target as..."?

Thanks for the replys so far! Hope there have been no further problems with folks viewing the reel.

As for the comment about the run, I gotta agree. Just looks like filler I think. I'll definatly drop it with the next revision as soon as I get round to it, thanks for pointing it out!

• Admin
As for the comment about the run, I gotta agree. Just looks like filler I think. I'll definatly drop it with the next revision as soon as I get round to it, thanks for pointing it out!

I actually like the run. It does look more like a test than the other parts of the showreel however. Filler? Hmmm... it didn't strike me that way but you may be on to something.

If you could find a way to rework the run... maybe alpha/composite the character over a background (city street springs to mind) that might make it more comparable to the rest.

You've got a flow to the showreel... perhaps you could exploit that.

Look at it several times from different perspectives (as if you haven't already of course).

When viewed what is the collection of shorts saying? What do you want it to say?

Hire me?

Look this is fun/great/interesting stuff?

I'm the animator that has made these characters come alive?

I'm not sure... so that's why I'm probing...

Speaking as someone who's too short of talent and material to able to put together his own showreel yet...

I would put contact details on those opening credits.

And then, follow that with a snappier opening shot than the one you have, something to really make you want to watch the rest. The one you have is a little slow, and it's not clear what the robot is doing, so it makes me wonder if the animator doesn't know either.

Otherwise, there's some great stuff here. Not so sure about the moonwalking iPod ad (the the first one), although I do like all the others.