sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Planes

Hi, this is my first final render of a project I've been working on for an art competition at my school.

I'm hoping to add some fire and smoke on the back of the planes to make the image look more dramatic. Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:D

[attachmentid=15097]

post-8649-1142106517_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My only real crit is that it seems awfully bright in the middle of the image. You loose one set of the landing gear on the forward plane. It might be a little more dramatic if you messed with the lighting a bit more. Effects will add to it so I will crit again later once you add them.(I saw in your post that you are adding them) You might want to try looking at some films for added inspiration.

Hope this helps

Leo B)

Hi, thanks for you comments. I'll try to move the light and the landing gear. I'd put the background picture onto part of a cylinder to give a panoramic effect and half of the plane in the background was inside the cylinder and out of view.

How would I go about making the propeller look like its turning in just one frame? I'm only 13 and a bit new to this program you see.

Thanks.

This is the orthographic view of the planes and lights now:

[attachmentid=15134]

Orthographic_view_of_planes.bmp

One method of rendering a blurred propeller would be to set up your scene in a choreography and have an action rotate the propellers. Render out several frames as TGA images with motion blur on.

There are some experienced aviation modellers here who will probably give you the definitive answer to your question.

• Admin

I've been hoping some A:M users would take some elements of the exercises and expand on them.

You definitely are.

It'll probably be best to research and find a way to blur the props but there are ways to fake the effect too.

There is a great tutorial series by XTAS in the Tutorials forum that will probably get exactly the effect you want in one frame. The technique uses Multipass to combine the props.

The cheat would be to remove (or temporarily hide) the props and place a lathed disc in its place.

You can experiment with color, transparency and more to get the desired effect. For an even better look you might have both the props and the disc showing with varied transparency.

You might want to experiment with adjusting the angle of the horizon to give a more dramatic aerial effect.

In othe words having the horizon high on the left and low on the right with the planes in much the same place as they are. Hope that isn't to confusing...

Nice work thus far!

Here is the link: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...43&hl=propeller

I've used it and it works great.

One issue I have with your project is the way you have the focus set up. This might be the way you want it, but it seems a bit unnatural to me. The only item that is in focus is the middle plane. Like I said, that might be correct, but it was the first thing that drew my attention.

This is just nitpicking. I really thing you are doing a great job and have a bright future in CG. Keep up the good work.