Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Chess scene

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the look of the scene! The walls look like that sponge painting my wife is fond of.

Scott

PS: Not to be a total nerd or anything but the chess position is implausible if white moved first (black was in check and didn't move to block it). If it is black's move, why did white sacrifice the queen? Maybe you're making a short and the queen commits suicide and the rest of the pieces try to figure out why! That's it!

PS: Not to be a total nerd or anything but the chess position is implausible if white moved first (black was in check and didn't move to block it). If it is black's move, why did white sacrifice the queen? Maybe you're making a short and the queen commits suicide and the rest of the pieces try to figure out why! That's it!

Yes Scott, I do believe you are a nerd. Black went first. My pic, MY rules! So "NYAH"! :P

I'm glad u liked it and could find something to giggle at.

P.S. Yes...I did intend the queen to suicide intentionally. Why? I don't really know. Maybe because I suck at chess, lol. That's why nobody is sitting at the table. I moved and realized the only piece worth living for was gunna bite it, so I called a forfeit and left! :o

PS: Not to be a total nerd or anything but the chess position is implausible if white moved first (black was in check and didn't move to block it).
I think I can out-nerd you here...

It's years since I last played chess and I can't recall the correct shorthand, but this sequence is possible...

White: King's pawn one step forward

Black: King's pawn one step forward

White: King's bishop's pawn one step forward

Black: King's bishop's pawn two steps forward

Black: King's knight two steps to, erm, where it's shown

White: Queen to where it's shown

...it's suicidal for the queen, but it is a legal sequence.

Oh yes - before I get side-tracked - I do like the painterly look to the scene!

the model looks great nice job

:lol:

I had a suggestion, if you use radiosity maybe you put more photon cast and activate final gathering(200 samples and 20% jittering), this fix the noise in the wall and models

PS: Not to be a total nerd or anything but the chess position is implausible if white moved first (black was in check and didn't move to block it).

It's years since I last played chess and I can't recall the correct shorthand, but this sequence is possible...

Actually, I chose the word implausible rather than impossible because I realized that it was a legal, but bad position.

Scott

the model looks great nice job

:lol:

I had a suggestion, if you use radiosity maybe you put more photon cast and activate final gathering(200 samples and 20% jittering), this fix the noise in the wall and models

Thanks for the tip pelonppp! I used final gathering, but with the default settings. But, I dunno, I kinda like the weird look I got. I am curious to see how it would look your parameters, so...well this is the way we learn!

Awesome feedback everyone! Thanks for you input, I am learning a lot more all the time thanks to the Hash Comm. :D

Actually, I chose the word implausible rather than impossible because I realized that it was a legal, but bad position.

Scott

Let's face reality, people. We're ALL nerds! B)

I also like the painterly feel of this one, but I would like to see a tweaked render too :).

Coming up, sir! Just gimmee a coupla hours for a new render :blink: . I am thinking of adding more lights to the array to get a better result, too. For this render, I only used a 2x2 array. I knew it wasn't enough to give me a photo-real result, but I thought it would be interesting to see what I would get.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how many lights I should use?

The render time for this pic was about 2:28:00 at the current resolution, which the size I want.

We'll see if there is enough time in a day for a new output.

As requested, here it is. The non-painterly correctly rendered version.

It took 3:18:xx to render using 9 lights and multipass = 16(4X4) and a resolution of 1024x768.

Photons Cast: 15,000

Sample Area: 15,000

Photon Samples: 200

Final Gathering

Samples: 100

Jittering: 10%

Personally, I like the painterly version better. It has more character. I'll let you form your own opinions, though. That's part of the fun. :)

post-6871-1141339936_thumb.jpg

very cool Mark. The first render does look realy nice, and so does the second. I like them both... I CANT DECIDE :P

You can get that painting effect of radiosity by using 0% jittering, and a very low final gathering sample. You still have a tiny striation problem in the second render, which would go away with a higher jittering percentage and a more fg samples.

great model

You can get that painting effect of radiosity by using 0% jittering, and a very low final gathering sample. You still have a tiny striation problem in the second render, which would go away with a higher jittering percentage and a more fg samples.

great model

Thanks Dan, I'm glad you like it.

I got that painting effect pretty much the same way you described, except that I used a low photon sample area and the default final gathering settings (100% and 0% Jittering).

As for the striation problem in the second render, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you point it out for me so I know what to be looking for?

If you are referring to the vertical "striations" on the wall, that's just the material.

This chess set has been my first go-around of messing with radiosity. Didn't really know what I was doing at first, but with everyone's input and Yves' tuts I learned a TON of stuff these past coupla days. :D

That's a nice render. I like your attention to texturing details for the wall, the table border and the floor tiles. I think the wood textures on the molding and the coat-peg need more work though. More perturbations in the strates and also tighter strates on the peg. Also use different material position and orientation for the peg feets. You might want to take a look at this wood material tutorial for some ideas.

That's a nice render. I like your attention to texturing details for the wall, the table border and the floor tiles. I think the wood textures on the molding and the coat-peg need more work though. More perturbations in the strates and also tighter strates on the peg. Also use different material position and orientation for the peg feets. You might want to take a look at this wood material tutorial for some ideas.

Thanks for the comments, Yves! Some good ones, too. Couldn't have done it without ya! I sure will take a look at the wood tutorial, anything to improve my skills is good.

Edit: I looked through your wood material tutorial. Wow! Thanks a lot for providing stuff like that for us. Most other people would charge a pretty hefty fee for training material like that. I definitely plan to put this info to use in my future work.

As for the striation problem in the second render, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you point it out for me so I know what to be looking for?

If you are referring to the vertical "striations" on the wall, that's just the material.

oh... no wonder the striations looked so good. :lol: sometimes when using final gathering with photon mapping striations begin to form on all the surfaces giving it a stainless steel kind of look to it. Here's a matte-white render i did a while back that shows what i'm talking about.

post-8217-1141415780_thumb.jpg