Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Default Choreography for the Extra CD II

Here's mine...

Render and zipped file.

Rename your original 'Default Chor.cho' file to something like 'Default Chor Old.cho'.

Then place the Default Chor.cho from my zip file in your Hash Inc\V13.0 folder.

I can create this for V12, but I am making this for the new Extra CD and V13 should be a done deal by then.

EDIT: 8:30pm 02/16/2006, I updated the zip file... per Ken's suggestions, you can now drop a 7' character in the chor and it will be perfect.

JLKDefaultChoRender.jpg

defaultchor_timelord.zip

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very Nice. I tested Mrs Yoop in it. It's a keeper. A couple of points. I had to scale her down alot and she's about 8 foot high. So, you might increase the size of the chor and also, thebone for the ground got in the way as it's too large....but if you scale it up that shouldn't be a problem.

yoop.jpg

why dont you just ask martin to change the default cho in every version of A:M here after?

The only thing i realy dont like with A:M for default values is the light object. It automatically starts with 80% darkness shadows, and nothing i do can change that... who came up with this random number, and is there any way to make it 100% for a default value?

• Admin
why dont you just ask martin to change the default cho in every version of A:M here after?

Change it to what though... that is the question.

Perhaps someone could program a plugin that gives you options based on the look you are after.

To the user the plugin would allow selection of the basic lighting and environment.

Underneath the plugin would swap default Choreographies.

Until such a plugin is created the user could just change the Choreographies the hard way; by copying them over the top of 'default.cho' in the A:M directory.

One setup is never going to be ideal for everyone. One must however be the default.

Creating several Choreographies from which to choose from might be useful.

This idea was passed around a year or so ago and Jeff Lee's Skylight was talked about a little.

The thought was to create a few different Choreographies designed to optimize lighting for different situations; morning, noon, evening, moonlight etc etc etc.

I think the current default 3 point lighting in A:M is there primarily as a simple way to demonstrate how to set up basic lighting. I would suspect that it also allows renders to be completed fairly fast.

The more Chors the better I suppose but options can also lead to confusion if not organized effectively.

Quick rendering is one of the most important requirements for the default chor. I assume more complex chors would add to render time.

(Something like that)

Rodney

[attachmentid=14549]

This is my default cho. It uses a couple of very large lights to similate an area light(the fill) and as a rim light. It also uses two z-bufferred shadows for speed.

I find that it's a good setup for initial renders and tests, but I'll replace the fill light with an equivalent skycast light before final rendering(once I've worked out how many passes I can throw at it).

It only really works in multipass...but then so do I :)

The zip file contains a project file as the cho includes a curved ground.

[attachmentid=14550]

Default.jpg

Default.zip

• Admin

Thanks John!

That'll be useful.

Interestingly I just ran across a write up on lighting.

It would appear 3 point lighting is pretty much hated these days.

I was mostly guessing but appear to be right that the primary value in 3 point lighting concerns how easy it is to use and understand. While I haven't seen it stated yet I still suspect fast rendering is another plus.

Now that A:M has ambient occlusion and all this other lighting stuff who knows what we might see as the 'default' chor in the future.

Thanks for starting this collection MMC! Good stuff. :)