Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Demon Character

Hope the attachement uploads....... please forgive me if it doesn't as this is my first attempt on this forum.

[attachmentid=11245]

I am using Roger Reynolds surface settings to check the surface for problems. This was modelled in 8.5 and then have started tweaking with the 2004 version of v11.

Once again, I am really sorry if I wasted your time and the attachement didn't load. Opinions and feedback would be appreciated.

post-1259-1132136767_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice :)

Are you going to use him in a short or is he made just for fun?

Two things that looks a bit odd: forearms a bit thick? and the feet does look a bit like monkeyfeet? Just overlook this if it was your intentions

Hi agep, very good! He's actually got an old mesh as his starting point - a little baby-ape model (I haven't got an image to upload today) and I kept the "popeye" forearms and remade the feet as the originals were even more apelike.

trajcedrv, I will revisit the legs and feet and see what comes up. the original model was for experimenting with v8.5 and v11 fur whereas this little guy is meant to be textured rather than furry.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Thanks a lot for the comments! If I do anything with it it'll be posed images and nothing else. I'm not the animator I hoped I'd be once.

Would love to do a comic or picture storybook though - but that depends on time.

However - here's what the previous head looked like before I decided it wasn't demonic enough.

[attachmentid=11300]

Apologies again if it doesn't upload.

post-1259-1132248056_thumb.jpg

This is more about stylistic choice than anything else.

I recommend lengthening the tail, part of the appeal of this character, particularly in animation, would be the secondary motion and character attititude that could be expressed with a longer tail.

I'd model the ears so they came to points at the top, perhaps even curl the tips a bit. It would give the demon a more impish quality.

Oh, and maybe some rudimentary bat wings.

My two cents,

Steve P.

I recommend lengthening the tail, part of the appeal of this character, particularly in animation, would be the secondary motion and character attititude that could be expressed with a longer tail.

I'd model the ears so they came to points at the top, perhaps even curl the tips a bit. It would give the demon a more impish quality.

Oh, and maybe some rudimentary bat wings.

Thanks Steve, I'm reworking the ears as you suggest right now. If I was more of an animator I'd have lengthened his tail - I'll give that a go and see what you think.

Bat wings...? you're killing me!

Bat wings aren't so tough. It looks like Mark has some descent ones that you could work with, but what I had in mind was much smaller, some so small that they don't look like that he could use them to fly.

But, again, this is all about style choice. I'm sure there are some people who think bat wings on demons has become cliche.

Basically, give a good thought on character for this guy, decide what fits and what doesn't, what characteristics do you use to define this type of demon?

Steve P.

If ya want, I have some decent bat wings you can modify to start off with.

arkaos, those are really nice wings! thanks for the offer

Bat wings aren't so tough.

Wasn't fear of modelling them - it was the stylistic choice. I never saw him with wings. HOWEVER I do like the idea of stubby little ones that wouldn't help him fly.

Anyhow, here's the latest on the ears. Haven't had much time to spare this weekend though so I'll do some more tonight. Again, feedback would be much appreciated.[attachmentid=11493]

post-1259-1132686987_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Simple patch-colour test. I've tweaked his tail longer and redone the legs and feet. His face has had some further remodelling around the mouth. This is my proposed last remodelling tweak before I start texturing and surfacing.

Question - is there a surface that I could create that is dependant on the proximity of the camera? I'd like him to be sort of "Hellboy" rubbery but for the scaling, bumps and texture to only really be discernable as his bits get close to the camera.

Oh yes, image.. nearly forgot! [attachmentid=11995]

post-1259-1133798397_thumb.jpg

Ha, that's great. Reminds me of an old one of mine I made a looong time ago. ;)

Zaryin I just LOVE the bellybutton. Why didn't I ever think of that for mine. Do you mind if I remodel a bit? I wonder what kind of bellybutton I should have though...

Anyhow - I also was inspired by your demons knees to add resolution and wrinkle his knees up but they haven't picked out too well in my final render. (No materials added yet)

[attachmentid=12081]

post-1259-1134061119_thumb.jpg