sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Character

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty darned good I would say, especially for a second model.

A couple of possible tweaks are the top of the head and the ears, which look a little flat at the moment. Perhaps this guy really has those features though.

I like the folds in he jeans. Details like that really help to make a model believable.

Well done and good luck with the hands and feet.

• *A:M User*

Thanks. I have the hair coming next and hands and feet. The texture on the face will be reworked as I am not happy with the forehead. It almost looks as though the decal doubled itself at the top of the head. I will u/l new test renders as I go.

Steve

I like it, I definatly second the opinion about the pants, very nice work on those folds. and denim has a very particular way of folding that other cloth doesn't very soft and supple. But the shoulders and the arms. . . seems almost dwarf like in proportions. . . not even that he needs broader shoulders, but almost like he doesn't have shoulders at all.

Take this with a grain of salt coming from me, (considering how stylized my work is) but general proportions that work well for me are as follows, measure the distance from the edge of the hair line from front to the end of the chin, that will give you your base length. From there torso proportions are as follows,

Length = hair line to chin.

Torso:

clavicle to nipples = one length

nipples to bellybutton = one length

bellybutton to crotch = one length

those proportions should give you a well balanced torso. With that in mind your legs should be = in length to the torso. then you can devide the legs as such.

Legs:

feet = 3/4 shins

shins = 3/4 thigh.

now for shoulders and arms. . . shoulder width I eyeball, and arm with i usually go to the length from one finer on the right to the same finger on the left of the arms in spread pose to be = to the length of the character head to toe. from shoulder to elbow i make the humerous a little less then 1/2 the torso then divide the arms like the legs.

arms

hands = 3/4 fore arm

fore arm = 3/4 humerous

and in theory hands are 3/4 the feet so feet are roughly equal to fore arms. . . go ahead, measure against yourself if you don't believe me, but these generally hold true.

one last tidbit. when you deal with curves of the body such as muscles and bony protrusions please observe the interesting way of how with mussels that parallels such as calf mussels and tricepts that the outer parts of these mussles are higher than the inner parts. and when dealing with boney protrusions such as your ankles, the opposite is true, the outside protrusion is higher then the inner protrusions.

sorry for the long and wordy post, hope it actually helps.

cheers and remember, say no to polygons.

post-7696-1130738552_thumb.jpg

Excellent help! I have an art back ground and should know a great deal of these things. I have drawn a great deal of figures in my days and I agree with you numbers. You get wrapped up in the look of what is to come and sometimes the obvious slip by. I will have a second go of the body and shoulders. Maybe that will help with the over all look. I started with a more character figure and had totally different proportions that this one!. I will let you know on the progress.

Steve

OK, I have reworked the torso and up body and arms. I still have to work on the hands once again, but I feel better about the head fitting the body. I think the way I modeled the shirt causes some of the torso problems as well. Thanks for you thoughts. Some more tweeaking on the body. I have been playing with the hair and like the hair wizard but I have find grooming the hair has been a problem. I have created a skull cap just below the scalp and apply the hair emiters to it. But the hair causes the machine to be unusable in modeling.

I appreciate all the help with AM as this is still new to me with only one model completed before this one.

Steve

Body0.jpg