sprockets Short film by Svetlik Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Of hair particles and file renders.

The file attached here shows the start and ending frames of a two-second clip of my alter-ego, Danbuster Cameronean Leadboot. He is posing for the camera in his own fun-loving crazy little way.

It was intended for my avatar, though only a few frames now exist because of the limit.

The wild blond hair is a hair emitter. I had to do it like that, because it was too difficult to accomplish fuzzy hair that sticks straight up using a mesh (as I have with my other models).

The fur on the body was accomplished by using a fairly rough and low-scale bump map.

The hair is the problem. In preview mode, it renders fully shaded.

Here, in the rendered file, the first frame is coloured properly but the quality is terrible.

The remaining frames are rendered at good quality, but the hair is flat.

Can someone please explain this? It's not major in itself, but it does make it look bad.

BTW, my version of A:M is 10.5r. I only got this near the start of this year and I can't readily afford an upgrade!

post-5195-1129740251_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some experiments with Hair particles also, and found that the best way to create non-uniform hair was to actually add in more colors to it.

Now I don't know if version 10 can do that, as I was working with version 11.1 at the time, but if you can add more hair emitters into your hair material, then you can make the hair color varied.

3 Hair emitters are creating the hair in my attached example.

• 2 months later...

Now I don't know if version 10 can do that, as I was working with version 11.1 at the time, but if you can add more hair emitters into your hair material, then you can make the hair color varied.

3 Hair emitters are creating the hair in my attached example.

There is a way of adding a colour decal to hair, just like a surface, if the hair emitter is already set up. A colour fill with a stippled or grained effect may be one other idea.

Nice model, BTW

• 3 months later...

Maybe you need to increase the diffuse and lower the ambient levels of the the hair emitter? I like to do a progressive render on the hair area only and then play with numbers till I get the look I want.

Sometimes, what I see rendered in the workspace and what is rendered in files are two different things. Despite the fact that hair should be shaded and all, when there is a lot of hair and things in the frame, the hair in the movie file is rendered as flat colour. Any idea why that is?

• 3 months later...