Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Baby dragon

agep

Hello all.

I have usually been modeling mechanical stuff, but I found it about time to do some more organic modelling :D So after 3 cups of coffee and a hour and a half I got this. I could not find any rotos of any dragons so I'm using an Image as an inspirational reference :)

Do this headshape work? is it to wide? missing something?

After watching it a few times I find the snout a bit long, agree?

So any crit and tips is highly appreciated

-Stian-

babydragon.JPG

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont know, I like it this way, Gives it a 'cuteness' - It is a baby dragon after all. As long as the rest of the body fits in with this then it should look fine.

Congrats on breaking the mold!

I would change one thing however (based on anatomy - of dragons??!) see attached pic.

Nixie

p.s Tea is my drug of choice!

post-7-1124884487.jpg

Normally you don't need so many splines in the eyeball. Also it's not necessary for the back of the eye to have "flesh" behind it. Just flesh around the front of it. Look at the cd characters for a clearer idea.

The eye on the last image was just a dummy. This is the eye Im going to use. It might have to many splines I guess. The eye was created from an videotutorial for long time ago (don't remember where). I can share it if there is any interest.

*edit* doing a splinereduce on it right now

*edit* splinereduce is done. updated image

eye.jpg

Cheers! I appreciate this my eye was peaked in the center of the lens which was annoying me

Regards - Nixie

Just looked at the model, Is there any reason that the whole eye is encased in 'jelly'?

Edited by nixie

That's a gorgeous eye. It's a shame you can't change the colour. A character needs great eyes to being it alive....though this eye is abit human for a dragon.

Just looked at the model, Is there any reason that the whole eye is encased in 'jelly'?

Real eyes have a similar reflective coating round them. This is probably abit exaggerated though.

That's a gorgeous eye. It's a shame you can't change the colour.

Its no problem changing the iris texture. I have a few creature texture. Give me a sec and I'll give you an example

*edit* done

eyecreature0.jpg

Agep, If it's ok with you, I'd like to use your eye, (modified)?

Ken, thanks. I guess it is just a bit thick, but from a distance it would look better I guess. Animation is exageration.

Animation is Concentration as my Tutor would say!

Nixie

Hello all

Here is the latest update on the dragon. So far I've started on the body, but much yet to do. What I don't like is that the hands looks a bit human (muscular). Perhaps the fingers need to be a bit more pointy? I'am satisfied with the body, but I need help on how to approach the legs, anyone got an idea/tip? also feel free to criticize the splining, help me see whats bad and whats good.

Regards

Stian

dragonbabydual.jpg

His throat seems very flat/wide from this angle, maybe it would help if you made a more marked throat? And I think Mike's suggestion is very good. And maybe make his chest larger, because it looks kinda funny to me.

Love the rest.

His throat seems very flat/wide from this angle, maybe it would help if you made a more marked throat? And I think Mike's suggestion is very good. And maybe make his chest larger, because it looks kinda funny to me.

Thanks Jaqe and Luckbat.

You are right about the throat, its to "flat", I'll fix that. I'll also shorten the snout a bit more (I find it to long when looking at it in a perspective view). I'll also see if I can correct the fingers.

Thanks Zaryin. I'm not sure if shoulders will look good on this little fellow. But thanks for the suggestion. Here is the latest update (havent done much to the arm yet.. Should I have something on the tailtip?

dragonq.jpg

Thinking about balence, I think you ought to move his tail down a bit, so its more horizontal and less pointing upwards. As for a tip, its up to you! maybe a little arrow style point might make it cuter!

Keep tweaking and smothing the mesh, try porcelain if you havent already and then I want to see you UV him!

Nixie

Yet another update :P I spent a few hours yesterday learning the UV editor (a BIG thanks to Suttons great tutorial). So on this update I have tested the uv decal on the dragon (some stretches here and there though). As said this is just an test, so the skin will hopefully become much better.

babydragonBIG0.jpg