Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Downhill Bike Tyre

Hi all!

I'm making this bike tyre and if you look att the patter of the tyre, there is the problem...

I need a way to makeit look the same exept getting 5400 extra patches.

The total patch count is 5872 and 5400 of them is the pattern (lots longer render time).

How can I go around this problem?

//Korken

post-7-1122856061.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How close is the shot gonna be?

If it is not that close, bump maps, or maybe even normal maps (havent really experimented with them) would work great.

Bump maps on 1000 or 500 would work i think, If the tire is going to be black.

Ben

Would it be possible to show a close up of the wireframe?

I think the geometry looks great!

I recently did a tire with a bump map. I wouldn't say that it is as good as yours, but I wasn't getting very close in the shots.

Cheers,

Eugene

post-7-1122863207.jpg

A bump or normal map won't actually distort the geometry. So with a tire of this type... probably not as effective.

You could try a distortion map. You could reduce the geometry considerably and still have enough to get good results.

The tricky part will be in animating or posing in a scene...

... distortion maps will show in shaded preview... but you need to have a fairly high display setting (page up key) to see it accurately. You will need this to make sure the tire "sits" on the ground. The displace will extend beyond the mesh surface so you need to account for this.

Vernon "!" Zehr

I noticed that you have 4 patches on the top of each tread. Why not extrude a single patch to make a cube and use this instead of what you have?

I can't tell if you beveled each tread, but unless you are getting in real close, your patch count should go down by a factor of at least 2 times.

Also, make sure that there are no patches on the very bottom (the part that won't be seen)

Cheers,

Eugene

If you can live with using just bump maps (or better yet, normal maps), go with that. Displacement maps for that kind of high frequency geometry wont help you much, though.

You say you want to get rid of all the extra patches because it gives you much longer render times. That's a bit surprising. Are you sure about that? What difference are you actually experiencing?

Well the thing is that it will take some time longer to render it and when I have the whole bike it will be some time to render it all.

Or do you think I shall have it like this and hope for the best?

And the difference is that without colors it takes 15s longer/frame than without them (total 22sec/frame).

//Korken

I'd say, wait and hope for the best. Or rather, wait until you are ready with the whole bike and then see what is the difference. 15 s extra per frame may not be much to talk about. Only you know, though. How many frames do you plan to render? When is your deadline?

I have no dead line. :)

I'm doing this movie to learn more about AM with mechanical things.

But ok, I'll wait, see and hope for the best. :rolleyes:

I tested to render from some distance and the render time was 17secs so now I think that the pattern wont do that much of a delay.

But I have one more question: What is the secret behind rubber look? I can't get any rubber looking (mattish?) material... :(

//Korken

Rubber...

very Large specular size.... very low specular intensity. Add just a subtle... very subtle... touch of noise... or roughness as needed.

I start with this when doing rubber then tweak till I like it.

Look at the tires on the remote control car in Toy Story 1. That is... rubber. You can almost feel the texture in your head when you see it.

Study real world samples of rubber. Take some photos if you can. This is very helpful when trying to simulate a material. Look closely at how light is "reflected" or diffused by the material.

Vernon "!" Zehr