Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

metalball pyramid

hey guys i just got this idea for a new wallpaper i wanted to make so whats simpler than

stacking some metal shiny balls.

there are 206 balls in this pyramid just if your curious

hope you like the picture

picture size is 1280x1024 if you want a bigger one for your desktop i can make one.

many_balls.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so depth of feild ok i can do that and what color would you suggest?

and it was done with 16 passes at 1280x1024 only took 9 mins to render

should i do it with more passes then?

if you want to add it go ahead i already have it as my wallpaper :)

you can just replace it with the new one im going to make with depth of feild and stuff

ok now you guys made me hungry shame on you hehe

ok now i have to make a meatball pyramid hehe

thx all for the feedback. actually make me feel good that i did something good.

im have trouble trying to get the depth of field to work not sure what to set it at but ill figure it out

im going to do it at 16 passes since it seems to come out nice that way for that resolution.

ok off to make meatballs mmmm meatballs

For the DOF, try making your focus point the center of the chor, or basically however far away your camera is. Make your far focus as far as the farthest ball from the camera, and make your near focus, your closest ball to the camera . . . that should work.

Ben

P.S. I'm looking forward to that meatball pyramid . . . make sure it's sausy! :D

oh ok i see now so simple yet so hard and yet again so.... umm i ran out of things to say but you know what i mean.

trying to do a render now trying a couple of other things as well. should have something by the end of today.

Its simple! In the CHO click on the camera (either the camera itself or the link in the PWS) Now go trough the property settings to render settings - look for DOF turn it on and you can now change depth of field. It consists of three numbers in the properties box and is displayed on the camera framing lines. To change it just cycle up or down the focus distance amount to move the main focus. Now change the far focus and near focus amounts to how you want them. anything within the three squares now part of the camera will be in focus (more or less) anything outside of them will be blurred. The further away from these three boxes an object is, the more blurred it will be. The more blurred an object is, the more passes you will need to use to get a nice smooth image. make sure MULTIPASS is ON and what iv been doing is write these settings down before final render; for some reason I cant get the render to automaticaly pick up the camera settings so I manually input the same focal distances into the advanced render settings. again - Make sure DOF is set to on and the right amounts.

There, that should cover it more or less! so hurry, I need a new wallpaper!

Regards - Nixie

Its simple! In the CHO click on the camera (either the camera itself or the link in the PWS) Now go trough the property settings to render settings - look for DOF turn it on and you can now change depth of field. It consists of three numbers in the properties box and is displayed on the camera framing lines. To change it just cycle up or down the focus distance amount to move the main focus. Now change the far focus and near focus amounts to how you want them. anything within the three squares now part of the camera will be in focus (more or less) anything outside of them will be blurred. The further away from these three boxes an object is, the more blurred it will be. The more blurred an object is, the more passes you will need to use to get a nice smooth image. make sure MULTIPASS is ON and what iv been doing is write these settings down before final render; for some reason I cant get the render to automaticaly pick up the camera settings so I manually input the same focal distances into the advanced render settings. again - Make sure DOF is set to on and the right amounts.

There, that should cover it more or less! so hurry, I need a new wallpaper!

Regards - Nixie

this is how

Glad it helped! If I ever get a website il make a illustrated tutorial! but can you see how multipass works in this instance? you can make out (because it's at a high resolution) all the passes you used to produce it, Thats why if you wanted to produce a really smooth DOF at a high resolution youd need alot of passes!

here the same finger rendered in shaded mode only (im not crazy after all) Iv focused very tightly on just the tip of the finger - much like a camera 'Macro lens' would.

9 pass, 36 pass and 256 pass respectively: 9 pass (see banding)

post-8-1122033097.jpg

finally 256 pass: good ob this was just shaded mode, final would have taken ages!

but see how smooth it is in comparison.

Sorry dude for hijacking your thread but DOF is so simple yet hard to get started with that I thought it might help a few! Nice job on the balls too!

post-8-1122033251.jpg

no please do this is good info hehe

if i can get a lesson out of something i made then its all worth it

256 pass looked really good maybe ill give it a try

the 25 passes took 15 mins so i say 256 passes is an hour

i can live with an hour

I wonder if you rendered that finger out using the depth field buffer only and then use that data in a compositing software to fake DOF blur.

Who knows, maybe you could even comp it in A:M.

That would be cool.

If it's possible to comp using Z axis data, then you could make nice renders in final mode, process it in a comp app and then have a nice DOF image in far less time.

Someone care to try this?

I'm busy adding a CG set extension to live action footage of a movie set where the camera pans (the Anzovin Live Action CD's are a wonder). :)