Shark

jfirestine

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

neat shark he looks good overall... when I examine your mesh I notice u got some hooks in there that's causing some problems..... by the mouth and the fin - now when a spline's uniform is broken it becomes ( unsmoothed ) so you wanna make sure your splines are all connected properly..

also the tip of his nose u may wanna add a few more cp's to round it of a bit..

overall good modeling... he will make my fishes run like hell :D

post-7-1068300002.jpg

• Hash Fellow

i love that grimace that sharks always seem to have. I hope you'll add some gills. I suppose they could be an image map but modeling them would look cooler. I realize splicing them in will invite more spline problems but it's a learning opportunity anyway, right? ;)

I plan to add gills, but don't know if I should use Bump/displacement mapping, or model them with splines? I am also in the process of removing hooks and try to better position the splines for less creases. I need to connect the fins near the tail to the body. Separate objects may cause problems during animation. I need to test it. I need to fix the mouth area too. Here is a close up of the teeth. I plan to add more variation at each tooth to break up the uniformity. Thanks again for all your input. This has been a fun model to work on. My son loves it and wants to see it animated!

post-7-1068327610.jpg

I have a brute force approach to getting rid of spline creasing. I obey all the hash guidlines - even the ones you can sometimes get around.

The 5 point patches are fairly large and adjoining. If you add a four point patch between the 5 point patches a lot of the mesh will smooth out automatically.You can end the extra splines with hooks put in on a four point patch. If the hooks crease disconnect them and carry them a patch further to see if it makes a difference.

Areas where this would make a difference on the shark are around the eyes, the mouth and at the connection of the fins.

After that, depending on the look you're after, you might try porcelain. Good luck

clean5pts.jpg

• 2 weeks later...