Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My other "Cooper"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to see the simplicity of your spline layout. I think a lot of us (myself inlcuded) have a tendency to use way too many CPs and splines to achieve what we're loooking for.

I think it's just a matter of learning how to manipulate a few amount of splines to get teh same effect.

Nice job Colin, as usual. So did you model the interior too, made a nice CD or DVD player?

Nice job Colin, as usual. So did you model the interior too, made a nice CD or DVD player?

Nope. Just a dash and some seats. I barely got this done as it was. In the end I'll probably turn it into a transformer or something. For now.. I'm moving on. It just so happens I have a paying gig thats a fantasy based model. So I'm shooting for the next contest as well.

I was pretty amazed at how easy it was to model this thing. And it gave me more confidence in 5 point patches, which made the Rims easy work. It was a fun project.. but I'm not fond of Mechanical for some reason. So it'll be a while before I get back to doing anything with it. Though it'll make a nice prop for my hulk to through around or crush.

C

The Mini-Cooper has always been my favorite car.

I am not impressed by Jaguars, Lambergihiniinis, Mustangs...etc...

Give me a Cooper any day... that is one cool car.

I believe it started when, as a child, I saw the ORIGINAL movie "The Italian Job"... I was completely mesmorized by the stunt work... I was in awe by all those tiny little cars buzzing around....

"Dad! What are those things? I've never seen one before."

And now... they are everywhere here. There are at least 3 in my neighborhood.... I think they are breeding... like rabbits.

This could become a problem. Since they aren't native to the states... they have no natural predators...

--------

Great job Colin!

Distortion maps on the door handles! I am impressed! It takes guts to pull that off with confidence. I used a distortion material on the styrofoam in my entry... not the same I guess.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Man, Colin - looking at the wire just makes me realize how wrong so many things are on my car. I'd be curious to know what parts are attached and what parts aren't (looks like wheel trim isn't? What about the doors, windshield (I'm really stuck on that right now), and windshield posts?). Some you can tell but I'm not so sure on others. My patch count must be at least 3x yours, if not more. Also are the windows one flat patch?

Would you mind giving a quick overview of the process? Where you started and so forth?

I had a rough time getting the wheelwell transition into the body - I think I tore my hair out on that more than anything. The headlights are awesome. Really awesome job.

Sorry for all the questions! I must now go back to my PC and feel shame ;)

Tom

Tom,

I'll write a post tonight on the process. Just about everything is its own piece. Quarter panels, Hood, windshields, etc. I did this so I could turn it into a transformer later.

I'll do a render of the model busted up and show you.

I'll confess that the rear is just a flip of the front right now. I might fix that soon.. since someone voiced interest in buying the model. I'll post some stuff tonight.

C

That blown up shot looks great, but please, please, please color the mirrors and roof the same color. Standard Cooper color scheme is body color all the way around or all white roof and mirrors or all black roof and mirrors. I hate to be stuck on this point but it is killing me. :blink:

Wade

That helps Colin thanks :) I have a lot of reworking to do. I noticed you made the wheel without tread. Did you figure that the detail was not necessary? Nice because it keeps patch count down. I still can't quite tell, is the wheelwell attached to the wheelwell trim and the front bumper? Looks like it is.

Tom

Yeah my plan was to use a displacement or a bump map for the tread.

I did model the wheel well attached to the quarter panel. I didnt have to but I thought that later if I did the transformer thing I might want it that way. The cool thing was that I could use what ever type of spline I wanted to connect the well. Its hidden and dark so no artifacts would show up anyway.

Sac.. I'll think about the roof. My initial thought is that its CG and can look as I want it to. I'm not going for a realistic accurate Cooper. the nice thing about building your own car is you can paint it whatever color you want?

What color should I make the mirrors if the roof is white?

C

Colin, what kind of material settings did you use for the paint job? Is there some kind of light box behind the camera that the body can reflect off of? Also, did you do anything special for the headlamps, or is it just chrome and refractions?

Julian.

I basically colored the car with a surface.. gave it the right settings for specular and reflections. Then dropped an evironment map material on it that had a pano from an HDRI image. this image was toned down depending on how much I wanted it to reflect.

The Chrome is the same thing.. but much more reflective and little color.

I'll try to put some material project together that has this in it.. Its hard to do a lone material because its actually done in parts.

C

Finally got it to render correctly with an all white background. Changed the roof to black (are you happy Sac?) and fixed the chrome.

http://www.colins-loft.net/free/mini/MiniWhite.jpg

I also made a copy of the material and even made it metal fleck candyapple red!

CandyAppleRed.jpg

here are the files. 2 mats (1 for color and 1 for reflections) just drop them on the object or group of your choice. If you want a flat color.. just get rid of the cellturb and make it a straight attribute with the settings from the first attribute of the cellturb.

There is also a targa of the Uffizi gallery which I took from an HDRI image.. that just needs to be imported into your images folder before you import these textures.

carpaint.zip

I dropped the project in to show how it all goes together.

Have fun. If you have any questions.. let me know.

C