sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

StarWarsGuy's Mechanical Contest Entry WIP

This is going to be my entry for the contest when it's done. I thought of this idea last night. Here it is so far. I have yet to:

• Texture It
  • Add Some Barrels in the Foreground
  • Work On the Lighting Some More
  • Work On the Render (for example, the lines on the wires)

Any critique would be appreciated, because the entries seem to be piling up lately. I'm gonna really try on this one.

post-7-1107046380.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks interesting, models appear to be well made but I see no 'connection' between the 3 model groups - ie there is nothing unifying them. In fact the big model 'thing' looks like a closeup of somthing rather than a big something within the scene.

Cheers

Ahhhh - thats the trick isn't it :D Your not just creating models you're creating a scene.

What makes it all fit together in the movie? Maybe you'll need to change your point of view. What actual relationship is there between the 3 components and how are you going to show this relationship int he image?

Cheers

I always told myself I wouldn't actually offer advice in here until I decided to show some of my stuff but I couldn't resist.

The models look wonderful. I would contemplate thickening the wires because, on my computer at least, I am getting that odd artifact that you can see in old movies when someone wears a pinstripe suit.

In the movie they used a program which did all the pipe work. Now I don't know if this is allowed in the contests:

What you could do is look into the primitives section of the library of objects on the cd. Texture the ones (cylinders, elbows, t-junction, etc) that look like pipes and place them within your scene to duplicate that effect. It doesn't have to be a focal point in your scene just some in the background to trap the eye. Also, you might want to consider repostioning your camera because the line you are creating is not trapping the viewer--instead they (typically) start at the left of the image and move to the right--but, in your image there's nothing leading them back into the picture. Maybe put the camera as though YOU are sitting in the chair (actually just to the right of the chair (left of the scream extractor from that vantage). There woul be multiple effects created by this:

First, it's a POV shot which makes the viewer more involved than the way you have it set up (not trying to suck up to Colin there but look at his image--that guy is flying RIGHT at you).

Second, it creates a trapping line (especially if you add piping on the ceiling, and behind the computer going up the wall). What happens now is that a person will get focused on the nearest object (the sucker) follow the maching "back and to the left, back and to the left) to the vertical of the computer and table, which leads them into the piping up the wall, which connects to the piping on the ceiling, which leads to the arm holding the machine from the ceiling, back down to the machine itself, back to the sucker, and then "back and to the left...."

Just my thoughts.

J

I liked the idea about adding some depth to the image. Instead of a side shot make it go from left to right.. but increase the field of view on the camera ( to 45 or less and move the camera in.) That will give you lots of perspective. and increase the dynamics of the image.

I agree about making the piping as I said in my original post.. it will add to the lines in the shot.

Make that "sucker" come out of the picture (act... like you're trying to do a Stereo image and you'll know what I mean)

Looks great though.

C