Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Flower romance

Hello -

This is a little project for my wife whose favorite flower is mildly hinted at by the attached. I started with this by going for a more realistic flower scene but couldn't help myself (after watching Fantasia again) by trying something less literal.

I'm posting for your impressions in particular for the pose. How does it read?

Thanks.

Doug

TulipSceneC1.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I think more R&D is needed. While they are more intimate in the new pose, the humanoid appearance isn't reading well.

Perhaps something with two curves drawn together like two parentheses:

)( or maybe ()

It's a tough problem. But I know you can do it. :ph34r:

Tried with radiosity, mostly stock settings. Attached for your pleasure.

Perhaps something with two curves drawn together like two parentheses:

Robcat - I'm afraid I don't quite understand. Pose isn't dramatic enough? Right now I'm sort of stuck between flower and human, is that what you're getting at?

I'll play some more with the pose. Thanks for the input.

Doug

TulipSceneC3Rad.jpg

Friday update. Changed lighting a bit, changed pose a bit, and adjusted the camera angle. This has to be about done, and though I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out I'd still be open to some focused critique (ya know for the next one).

Doug

TulipSceneD4.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Darn, I missed the print deadline!

Oh, well... How about if her head was on his shoulder? and nudge her torso out a tad.

That would get us closer to the () arrangement. Not that that is gold or anything, but I think there might be too many parallel elements right now.

Another idea: how about changing the frame from landscape orientation to "portrait". It's vertical composition, a vertical frame would strengthen it.

To respond to what robcat is saying, I think if you worked the mechanics of the flower more to give it a more natural feel the poses might be stronger. Also the torso might be too large on the male flower, it reads weird to me.

I love the concept, and your modeling looks awesome, keep up the good work

my two cents.

Thanks for your replies.

Robcat - I see what you mean re: parallel elements. My eye didn't pick that up until you said that.

how about changing the frame from landscape orientation to "portrait".
Good one! How would I do that, just by adjusting the camera? I'm storing that idea away.

Rvaudrin - Thanks alot for your very nice comments. I also see what you mean about the size of the male flower. I was going for high contrast between the male and female, and trying to make the male very strong - sort of playing on the romantic "ideals" of both sexes. Perhaps I went a bit too far.

The project is now finished with the exception of rendering and printing. I needed to stop in order to finish this up by Christmas. I have learned a whole lot in doing this and I appreciate everyone's guidance along the way.

Doug