Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bedroom suite

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a test render using photon mapping of the bedroom suite that I am working on. 

I Love it. Very nice.

Feel free to be brutal when commenting.

No one plays chess on the floor.

The mattress lines and plane are too sharp. Could use a little deforming.

The pile of books looks great. Maybe dirty the covers up a bit.

Wood grain is always a pain. They look scaled up a little high to me. Makes the furniture look like they were made for a doll house.

Or better yet, paint them. :)

The floor looks great.

hey... looks really good.... only a couple things....

1. the wall is a little blank... the color is really nice but it needs maybe a poster or a shelf with toys/pictures on it...

2. the bed is too square.. beds usually have more of a curved shape around the sides and aren't perfect square edges.....

thats about it 8)... keep posting i wanna see the updates.

I would echo the comments above.

1) Scale down the wood grain.

2) Bevel the edge of the matress and perhaps sink the surface in areas where it would get most wear and tear, ie the middle.

3) The mat on the floor is generating Moire patterns so maybe you could try a different texture.

4) Add ssome more clutter and hang a blanket or quilt to the bed and maybe mess it up a little.

I like it though and hope to see some more renders soon. Well not that soon, I guess. How long was the render for this example?

I must get back to doing some more on my own bedroom composition soon. :)

You all have made excellent comments and I will be incorporating all of them in updates to the project. My biggest self-observed failing is the crisp sterility of the room. Its supposed to be the bedroom of a little boy (a little on the introverted and cerebral side). I need more "Stuff" and the stuff needs to look "used". The model of Rafe (the boy) is under re-construction at the moment. I need to do alot of work on the bed as the night lighting scene will work much better if he is asleep in the bed.

The radiosity render is taking about 6 hours which will be not so bad when I get a seperate rendering machine online so that I can be working on the scene while in-progress renders are running. There are alternate renders of this scene in the radiosity forum under the topic of "Modern Art".

More to come in the near future.

Bill

1. im not feeling the rug next to the bed. id much rather see it tossed. or maybe make the pattern on it simple.

2. couple things you may want to try with the bed. maybe scale it down a little bit. another thing is to dress up the bed. give it a nice looking comforter, or a blanket.

3. id take the poster you can barely see an put it over the bed, an the add either another poster some place else, or like the other person said, an give it a shelf or 2 with things on it.

4, if you wanna mess with the books id give them titles, or cover art, seems like you did this to the book on the night stand.

cant wait to see what direction you are planning on taking.

Beautiful render Bill!

couple thoughts for ya,

What does the kid want to be when he grows up? How about some toys indicating his interests, or does he only read and play chess? maybe some old discarded toys jammed under the bed and forgotten stuffed animals/action figures shoved in the corner. Couple of those could be gotten off the CD and 'broken' without much trouble.

Maybe he has a couple drawings of his on the wall?

The kid is kinda messy as we can tell by the open draweres and chess set, but he puts away all his clothes? I'd like to see a sock hanging out of the drawer and maybe some dirty laundry scattered about.

I agree about the scaling down of the wood grain and changing the rug. maybe making the throw rug oval and more in the center of the room so the Kid can sit on it and not get a sore butt when he's challenging his favorite author to a game of chess?

Can't wait to see how this progresses.

-Simon

I spotted a few issues :

- Highly saturated colored objects look immediately out of place in a scene like that. I'm refering to the hat, the green chess pieces and the blue lamp. This is especially important here since the rest of the objects in this scene have desaturated colors. And you might want to check a couple ambiance settings too.

- The wood texture must be scaled down quite a lot. Right now, it doesn't look like wood at all but rather like a stylised paint job.

- The carpet texture is too fine for the number of passes you are using. This is probably a regular patterned material scaled very small. This will inevitably produce moiré patterns. Use a decal in this circumstance as decals can be mipmapped while materials can't. From the top view (I assume the carpet is modeled from the top view) in the model window, render to file with as high resolution as you need. then apply the resulting render as a decal.

Yeppers -

The rug is just plain wrong. I'll re-texture it. Funny thing with the current texture, the moire pattern appears to have added a wrinkle that is not there. The rug has a wrinkle built into it - runing from front to back. The texture has added a side to side wrinkle. Its gotta go.

The furniture textures are just not working, the more that I look at it, the more I want to not use wood. Maybe a painted surface (as was suggested).

The choice of colors for the chess pieces is not working either. I think that I am going to go back to a black and white marble texture for them (and move the chess board off the floor).

Shelves on the wall? I had them in my room as a kid. That goes on the TODO list for visual interest on the walls.

The bed is going to get linens and have the mattres rebuilt so as not to appear to be cut from a block of foam.

The hat does look like its right from the store. I'll mute it out a bit and "squish" it some.

Simon simon simon.... You task me! (big grin there) The "goodies" that you pointed out are some of the things that I think are what really missing in making the room look lived in. There are no clothes. no personal items. no toys....

The book on the bedstand is a copy of The Animation Master Technical Reference. The other books are.... well... nothing! I think that I need to detail the books out so that they at least have spine titles.

I have much to do this weekend

p.s. "when he's challenging his favorite author to a game of chess?" - thats what I was hoping to convey with that :-)