Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

An Italian Sculpture

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And oh yeah. Does anyone know if Gimp would be a good compremise if you don't have Photoshop and your following Jim's tut?

Yes. Although I used Photoshop at work, my preference at home has always been The GIMP. There are a few differences in the way each program does things, they have different filter sets (though there is a great deal of overlap), and The GIMP doesn't handle CMYK images as well as Photoshop does; but if you're not doing actual press work (and therefore need the CMYK support), there's very little that Photoshop can do that The GIMP can't.

Here' a front view of the progress made thus far. Facial map, which is ever so subtle, a facial bump that includes forehead creases (barely under cap), lip cracks and skin bumps and a specularity map that shines the nose and lips. Also there's been a "M" added fabric stitching and a label on the buttons.

post-7-1096656417.jpg

Also a back view, only taken so close to show the detail of the pockets (You sick'o's). This view also shows a problem I've been having with the textures. Close up the textures are all clear and crystal (exept for the tiling problem here, and this is half in, half out.) and when I zoom out I loose the detail and the texture becomes all fuzzy and blurred. I've tried it on two computers and still the same thing. Do I have a texture setting wrong? Anyway here it is:

post-7-1096656877.jpg

There's only so much info a pixel can hold. And when the character is rendered smaller in an image, the texture that was made up of possibly a dozen pixels in a larger image is now represented by one pixel. So loss of detail is inevitible.

Jim

To expand on Jim's answer, once the model gets a certain distance from the camera, A:M starts creating mipmaps for the decal/patch images. Mipmaps help cut down on the speckly artifacts which occur when models in the distance are in motion; the tradeoff is a small loss of clarity under certain circumstances.

Maybe this example does'nt show properly what I'm talking about. I put some bricks on the side of a building. When it was up close it was fine, and I'm talking really up close. Then when I backed out the bricks could hardly be recognized as bricks. I'm not thinking it's the program. I think it just might be certain settings the new version might reqiure that my computer is not set up for. Anyone else having this problem?