Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

WIP-Leaves Swaying Example - Rustboy

Gene

Hi All,

I tried the technique to build a tree as used by Brian Taylor who is working on Rustboy (www.rustboy.com).

I think the results were quite good and this is a much faster technique when compared to using hair (or at leas that is my experience).

Here is a quick summary of what I did.

1. Create a patch and past a Cookie Cut decal of leaves.

2. Animate the patch (by tweaking splines and cp's) to give a wrustling movement to the leaves.

3. Render as a QT with an alpha channel (do not use any compression for the QT, just use Animation).

4. Make a model of a tree trunk

5. Make a patch and add a decal of the animated QT as a Cookie Cutter.

6. Copy and paste several of the "leaves" patches and arrange to look like a tree.

7. Animate the tree/patches of leaves so that it appears the branches are swaying in the wind.

8. Render in a Chor.

My example is attached....thanks to Johnl3D for his advice and examples.

Cheers,

Eugene

TreeSwaying_004.mov

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

The Green Canary is hilarious! I don't know where you get your material from, but you've got one heck of an imagination.

I've attached another example, this time the tree was not animated at all...the only things which are moving are the animated decals...so, the movement is quite subtle. Best to save and loop in Quicktime.

The Project file isn't really setup for the tree to be viewed at all angles, but perhaps I could work one up and make it available.

Thank you for all the comments.

Eugene

TreeSwaying_003.mov

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I did up a cleaned up project of the trees with animated decals as leaves and I would like to make it available to anyone who wants it.

The problem is that the project file is about 11Mb zipped and that means only about 20 downloads and my account will be frozen.

Could anyone offer up some webspace to make this available to others? The project file is large due to the animated decal

Thanks,

Eugene

Trees.jpg