Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Squash and stretch frog

pleavens

It's about time I learned how to do some character animation with lot's of "squash and stretch" (some would probably say period) so.. here's my first attempt at a character that I think could be a natural choice for such abuse.

My idea is to assign animated distortion boxes to all his main components. Arm and forearm bones, eyes and eyesockets etc. I have no idea how well this will work, but it's something I've been wanting to try for awhile. No bones, other then for distorted eye's, or final textures at this point. The Darktree on the main body is going to have to go as render times were ridiculous.

Comments criticisms and whatnot all appreciated.

Frog Spin Movie (sorenson 3)

Phil

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update.

Now boned with simple fan constraints and some texturing work.

frogger_b.jpg

Still struggling with combining distortion boxes with the existing bone structure, but I'll post more when I get there.

C & C all appreciated, I keep feeling that something is "just not right" (that should be my trademark) about it.

<edit> Updated with speculer layer added to eyes </edit>

Phil

Wow, that is a great pose and model. The eyes bug me a little bit. Needs some specular added to them. Keep it up.

Your absolutely right. I've since added a specular "shell" on the front of the eyes with "eye lights" to define the specular component.

The original post image has been updated with the change.

Thanks for catching that. :)

Phil

Great frog Phil. When do we get to see it squished?

Thanks, here's a link to my first test of using a distort in a pose. So far only the right head/eye bone combination is done, but I hope you all get as much of a kick out of the test as I did.

Frog distort test movie

Action object distorts are cool! The eye is controllably scaled while still letting the underlying scaled bone movement occur. And it was easy to setup once I figured out the "two-boned" head layout.

Ok, on to the other eye, and then the limbs and body. STRETCH me till it hurts, says the frog.

C&C anyone?

Phil