Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cartoony Ford Mustang

Attached loop of a car I am working on for CrimeBomb...

I am looking for a Hasher named Charles Cronley. About a year ago Charles and I traded CAD data for Mustangs, I finally took a look at his dense 'paint-only' mesh and decided it was a perfect test for the DISTORTION BOX tool and this is what I have come up with. Just wanted to let Charles know I am using it if he has any objections...

I added lights, glass, mirrors, wheels and interior (WIP) I plan to make poses for door and hood openings, steering, suspension, exaggerated distortions for cartoony takeoffs and handling, and an action for wheel spin with stride-length. Then I plan to use it extensively as a CrimBomb prop with Ms. D driving and Crimebomb in the motor compartment making it 'go'... could be humor-invoking...

Also- I've discovered 'porceline' material! I added it to my characters and WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! Can't believe I stayed away from it for so long. I thought it was for making 'teapots' and stuff. Its on the car's paint too.

LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK GOOD AND BAD. I value your opinion. Really!

LOOKING FOR CHARLES CRONLEY...

MsDsSTANG.mov

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I like that man! Very smooth surfaces to be so patch heavy.

Quick question, why did you use that many patches to build the mustang? Seems like you could have gotten away with it using no more than 5500-6000 patches.

EDIT: Oh wait, I re-read your original post, was this model from a CAD program?

Edited by nerrazzi

I like it, but for me it doesn't seem "Mustangy" when I think of mustang I think great big V8 engine with acres of hood and a growly "face". I am afraid yours makes me think of my Subaru which I also love, but it just doesn't make me think of a muscle car.

this is more what I think of when I think cartoony mustang cartoony mustang

I like it, but for me it doesn't seem "Mustangy" when I think of mustang I think great big V8 engine with acres of hood and a growly "face". I am afraid yours makes me think of my Subaru which I also love, but it just doesn't make me think of a muscle car.

this is more what I think of when I think cartoony mustang cartoony mustang

Thats a GREAT link! Wish I had that Mustang illustration when I commenced. The car actually started as an experiment with the 'distortion box' feature...I wanted to throw something really dense at it to see if it could handle it, and it did. Yes, the original model came from CAD data from someone on the list named Charles Cronley, whom about 1 year ago he and I were comparing notes on CAD data cars and 'scanned' cars, which my company uses scanned models from Viewpoint data labs. Charles sent me this mesh to show how he was able to use CAD data thru various file transfers to finally get into Hash. I sat on the file for a year, and finally took another look at it when I realised the power of distortion boxes. I am a fan of the 'big daddy roth' cars and had that loosely in mind when I went about distorting, once I had done the deed to this 'stang I absent mindedly started adding windows and tailllights and more and more detail just to see what it would look like finished.

The beauty of distortion boxes is that I do not have to stop here, I can do more distorting in poses and actions. Meaning I can have an action where the car takes a hard turn left and really compress the body to emphasize. Another pose or action for a takeoff where the wheels lift off the ground...etc.

I admit the car sort of looks like an old AMC Pacer, which is bad. Its one thing though, to 'toon a car in an illustration and quite another to 'toon it in 3D with animation in mind, which is what I'm planning. I also want my characters to interact with the car...cartoony muscle cars and cartoony hot chicks... that's the formula I'm after. Think it will appeal?

I think you mustang looks great, but how is crimebomb going to fit in the engine compartment? I'm not sure what video compression you use, but it is hard to really appreciate your work with all the compression artifacts. Just for fun, could you post an image of the car before distortion?

I think you mustang looks great, but how is crimebomb going to fit in the engine compartment? I'm not sure what video compression you use, but it is hard to really appreciate your work with all the compression artifacts. Just for fun, could you post an image of the car before distortion?

Gra4mac- I use Quicktime with Sorenson 3 compression at about 20% quality. I use Sorenson 3 because that is what Hash asks for if you are gonna post a film on A:M Films, so I figure it must be the most agreeable with their setup. Thru the Forum they give you a 1mb limit, so to put a 10 second clip in I have to drop to 10-15 fps from 30, half res from D1 (720X486) and I have to drop the audio quality as well, if there is audio. If I go 1k over 1mb I am denied upload.

I know it's crazy putting CrimeBomb in the motorwell, but stay tuned and on Monday I'll post my weekends render showing it can be done!

Can I post an image of the car before compression? Yes, good idea, I'll do that Monday when I get back in... It pretty much looks like a regular modern Ford Mustang tho.

I get all sorts of complaints about my compression, but I look for anyone to offer a better idea. You can post yours right here:

So, uh... I guess that car won't need... uh... airbags then huh?

Hey come on! Someone had to say it eventually! I mean really! Those are really big...uh... I mean those are huge... airbags!

p.s. You really should "turn them off" when children are present.

Vernon "Nice airbags" Zehr

Yes, certain parts DO tend to get overemphasized....ahhhhh.

"I'm not BAD...I'm just drawn that way!" -Jessica Rabbit.

I do so much nuts-and-bolts stuff that Ms.Demeanor is quite refreshing to work on, CrimeBomb too! Like most of us, I would like to get into Character Animation as a profession...but I'm sort of different in that I don't want to do cute fuzzy animals or talking vegetables...I want to do CHICKS and CARS! And I think there may be a market for it!

Any-Old-HOO! I promised somewhere above that I would post an image of the Mustang as it appeared before I 'dinked' it up. Here is... as I said...it's just the body.

aaaaa.jpg

On a more serious note....

Is this car now Hash patches? Or was it imported as a prop?

If it is converted to Hash patches, without sacrificing goats in a pentagram, would love to hear some background on that process if it isn't too complicated to explain (goats are expensive... and they smell).

...okay... not a completely serious note...

Vernon "Smelly goat sacrificer" Zehr