Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My work in upcoming History Channel program

AProd

Just a little programming note:

This upcoming Sunday the 19th of September a program will premiere on The History Channel entitled "The Battle of Tripoli". I did just about all of the visual effects and broadcast graphics for the show, so it involves a lot of Animation:Master output. Namely, all of the maps, ship models, and some of the battle simulation were done using A:M.

I believe it is in the prime time slot--it airs at 8pm (Pacific time) on our DirectTV, which may mean it also airs three hours before that (or 8pm eastern time)...but anyway, just check your local listings, if you are interested in taking a look.

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History Channel.....History Channel.... :)

My guess is that AProd did some contract work for the show. A lot of the shows on networks like The History Channel are contracted out to other production companies, and they get to choose who does any necessary graphics/effects stuff.

• Admin

Congrats John!

I'm not sure I'll get the chance to see it but it sounds like it would be educational and entertaining. Always good to here about the local boys (and girls!) making good!

We're Proud of You! :)

Anyone who gets the chance to see it please let us know your impressions.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the comments, and a (early) happy birthday greeting to Kyle! :D

Ross--many of the big cable networks contract out to smaller production companies to create their programming for them. I'm not sure if any of them even have production facilities in-house. I am an independent contractor who works on projects for Indigo Films, a small (only about 12 people on staff, with the rest being freelancers...they have four Avid editing bays) production studio in San Rafael, California. Indigo does programming mostly for A&E Network (which includes History Channel, The Learning Channel, etc.) and Discovery Network (Discovery, Animal Planet, Discovery Wings, The Travel Channel, etc.). They produce on average around ten hours of programming a year, which keeps me with plenty to do. I consider Indigo to be my prime client, as they account for about 90% of my work for any given year.

Because Indigo is a smaller studio, their budgets tend to be smaller. The producers don't care what kind of software I use, so long as the results look good. So I tend to reach for A:M. (Unfortunately, some of them have been coming in with Lightwave artists, so I'm having to pick up LW now too.)

I like the fact that Indigo is a smaller studio, because I get to wear lots of hats. I do titles, visual effects, animated maps, CG, and even step in occasionally to do some voiceover and re-creation acting. The downside is the fact that being pretty much the entirety of the art department, I can get swamped when there are four shows going on at the same time.

Oh, and as for web stuff, I have been long overdue on updating my web site. But a big part of it will be updating my samples, and I am hoping to create an area with Tripoli samples.

Hello AProd -

I got to see some of it. I thought it was on at nine and missed about half of it. Anyway, nice job on the maps. I also like how you used "still" photos but animated within them, this was a nice effect.

Congrats on a quality production.

Doug