Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

London User Group

Parlo

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the magic number indeed. Perhaps, if it is a full moon and we all talk of Hash at the same moment, we will be transported to a world of pure spline...

We had better arange a place as well as a time. West london (or west of london) somewhere is good for me but I could also do central.

• 2 weeks later...

24th it is then. We'll need to find a suitable location and be sure that atleast one of us is in possession of a suitable laptop/notebook - I myself am not.

I'll probably be able to get hold of a conference/rehearsal room in Southwark at no cost. It's just 4mins walk from London Bridge station. There's food and a bar there too. I'll look into it.

So is it LAMU or LAAMU? That's the most important question.

I'll probably be able to get hold of a conference/rehearsal room in Southwark at no cost.

Wow! cool, that really turns it into a proper event.

I'm afraid I'm devoid of a laptop also, we'll just have to sit and stare at each other <_<

I'll probably be able to get hold of a conference/rehearsal room in Southwark at no cost.

Wow! cool, that really turns it into a proper event.

I'm afraid I'm devoid of a laptop also, we'll just have to sit and stare at each other <_<

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up for it too if I can get back home early enough. I've got to be at Hampton Court for 7:00 p.m. as a good friend is celebrating her 50th birthday. Waterloo is at the end of the line from my place and is only 45 minutes so Southwark is cool.

Just need the directions.

Paul Forwood

Guys - major apologies - due to circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to make Saturday, and I wasn't able to get online either (need I say 'BT') so it all went a bit wrong. I'm sorry if anyone was inconvenienced by this.

So...

The good news is that the London Bridge venue is a go (the burgers are enjoying great press - they're that good). All we need to do now is find another date and give it a second try....

I'm also slightly worried about the lack of a laptop. It seems like they aren't as popular here as they are in that place across the pond. (You know the one - the place with the funny caps and their own version of cricket.)

Hi there, Sam, and all potential London User Group members.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have a laptop either so hopefully someone else will be able to help. What I wanted to suggest is that we try to get some idea of what people will be expecting from such a gathering so that we can be prepared. Okay, it would be great to just get a group of like minded A:M artists together to chat but I think if we could try to cover a tutorial or two and maybe some interesting animations to view it would be a start. I haven't been involved with a user group before and would be interested in hearing what people want to get out of it and maybe someone who is involved in a group from elsewhere could shed some light on what you get up to at your gatherings.

Any takers?

Oh! I didn't realise there were any new posts here.

I don't know if people are still up for this, but assuming we stick to Saturdays, I can make the 21st or 28th of this month.

I've never been to an actual user meeting, but I've met up with some Hashers from these shores in the past. We generally sit around and bitch about AM, but then agree what an awesome program it is.

I'm definitely not one for making or presenting tutorials. I'll just bring my years of experience ;) and show off any new animations I'm working on ......... of course that depends on whether we can access a computer.

I'd be interested in going to one, but not if it costs an arm and a leg. I can't see the point in shelling out a huge wodge of dosh for what would just be a user group meeting. All we need is a room with cheap grub available just round the corner. It could even be in a pub seeing as there's a handful of peeps interested.

Does it have to be in London? I've not enjoyed one trip there, mainly because of transportation problems. I know London forms part of the user group name, but couldn't we just change it to EAMU (to sound like the rather big bird) which stands for 'English Animation:Master Users' as there aren't too many of us? I bet I find someone else already has dibs on that name :) It has loads of potential for a group logo.

Just some musings,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't adam and eve it, I just posted a similar thread under the general discussions.

SIGGRAPH UK

I would LOVE to meet up with some other hashers in London and I ain't too far away from London (30-45mins) north west Kent in fact. Is the meet still on? I could try and russle up a laptop from work and we could use that. Failing that I if you only wanna watch images then I could bring me clapped out PII craptop but I don't think the battery works - it needs to be plugged in.

Even if it is just to meet and say hello in a pub it would be nice. Not sure if I can do this Sat coming though I'm booked up for diving :ph34r:

As for the name of the group how about 'The Cockney Hashers' if its in London. Yes? No? Crap? Pathetic?

Answers on a postcard.

Sorry - I just don't see this part of the forum tucked all the way down the bottom here. My browsing habits are lackluster to say the least, so I easily forget that this section is here.

The London Bridge venue is a definate. It is ours for the using. It has a great bar with good food (not too costly) and there are sarnie places nearby for the true shrapnel-counters amongst us. The laptop issue was our brick wall because there is only so much you can yak about this stuff without being able to get your hands dirty and actually see/do it.

So... if we can overcome this hurdle and find a mutually agreeable date - we are good to go.

Failing that I if you only wanna watch images then I could bring me clapped out PII craptop but I don't think the battery works - it needs to be plugged in.

Sam mate I have one but its a bit old... would it be any good?

Also all London Hashers look here:

CGI Festival

I know it will not have the Hash gang there ARE YOU LISTENING HASH? but it make another good venue to meet up at.

I will ask the Hash gang if there is any chance of their going there.

Good news :D i just realised that my step son has got a brand spanking new laptop that I am sure he would let me borrow, especially if i design a logo for him. I think it is a 2.4ghz celery (celeron) with DVD/CDRW 256mb RAM - that should do the trick shouldn't it?

What say you we all help design the logo?

This is great news indeed. I got concerned about meeting up without one because I think that it would only have served to frustrate us all...

"And that thing you can do with CP weights.. well.. I can't really describe it.. I'd have to show it to you..." etc etc etc.

I'll be speaking to Mr London Bridge tomorrow and see about date and time. If anyone has any preference.. speak now. If the main room is available there's even a video projector in there. So things could be very funky. And the burgers.. did I mention the burgers? This place does great burgers.

Sounds good to me! I am pretty free at the mo. A little freelance work here and there but I am sure that I could squeeze a meet-up into my schedule. It would be good just to get the ball rolling for now - just as long as I don't have to pay an arm and a leg.

Great news! Count me in for a weekend gathering. Can't wait to meet you guys and exchange thoughts and ideas.

Congratulations, John, on your recent competition win and, Parlo, your Kevin character is a real winner!

I await a date. Don't forget to contact Steve for your official HASH shirt.

Cheers!

I await a date. Don't forget to contact Steve for your official HASH shirt.

I have always wondered about these - aren't you supposed to get one when you win an animation/modeling competition cos I never got one :(

Right! This is gonna cause a fight cos I want that T-Shirt! I originally tried to start a UK user group 3 years ago and I didn't get one when I one the animation contest and I am gonna be supplying the laptop - it's mine, my precious all mine… we loves thee precious… so bueatiful :P

Snigger ;) Anyway I have definately got a decent craptop to take but we need a date, Parlo has the venue. So WHEN do people want to meet? I am looking forward to this venue.

I thought that I would mention the fact that I have a gig on the 30th of this month at the 'Grey Hourse' in Kingston Upon Thames with my band 'The Mergatroid'. You can check out some of our tunes and find out more at:

www.mergatroid.org

It would be nice to see you there but don't let it detract from the main meeting which I would like to be a sucess.

If you do turn up, I am the bass player. I can't garantee that I will be able to spend a lot of time chatting AM, I am hoping to be talking about quite different matters with our fans (if we have any by then).

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the compliments on the music - glad you like it.

Paul, It will be good to see you there! Remember to print out the flyer to get in cheaper - we need lots of flyers in else the organisers won't like us.

I have thought of modelling our mascot (that is what the front man has started calling him). That way I could easily pose him in different positions / lighting. Animating him to music would be fun also but I have an animation project on the go at the moment which takes up my time.

I will certainly have a go at making music for my current project - I like the idea of making the entire thing myself and there are no copywright issues. Also, If the music is made for the story then it can add a lot more and there will be no awkward cuts or fade outs needed.

I have been thinking of offering the Mergatroids' survices to anyone who wants them. We can do a fair range of styles - allways with our own quirky additives. We have our own producer also.

The lead singer (Gaz) has an artistic bent and the drummer is studying film effects at college. Gaz and the producer both have a talent for voices and a wicked sense of homour. We really should be making our own cartoons but it is hard to get the others into the animation thing as there is so much to learn. It is kind of up to me to show that it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo

Saturday 2nd October is indeed but a few days away and I gave my venue man a ring and all is set for that afternoon. It's here.

I apologise for not keeping up-to-the-minute on this. I've not only been horrendously busy but a death in the family has shifted priorities around abit. It's no major tragedy - 91 years is a great innings - but I never realised quite how much organisation and general business these things entail.

Anyhow -

We'll have a room from 2pm but there is a pub nearby (The Rose and Crown) that we could meet in before hand. As an exercise in getting together and chatting about the state of the British Spline it should be fun.

Hi, Sam.

Now that looks like a very nice venue! Well done!

I will be propping up he bar any time from 1:00 in the Rose & Crown.

I am sorry to hear of your recent loss. There seems to be alot of it about at the moment. But, as you say, 91 is a good innings.

I look forward to meeting you and whoever else can make it on Saturday.

Thanks for organising this, Sam. :)

Paul Forwood