Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Texturing and Baking

kujaibacha

Hello everyone

What is the one best method of texturing models in AM?

I know there's Decals and Stamps, and I've seen the various videos on this topic 

@zandoriastudiosvideo on YouTube was a big help

Although it seems the process might be a little too involved? Or has it changed in recent versions of AM?

Is there a video tutorial that explains the process of taking a model to texturing and decaling and baking for export?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
17 hours ago, kujaibacha said:

Hello everyone

What is the one best method of texturing models in AM?

One best? No. That's a big "It depends" question.

I know there's Decals and Stamps, and I've seen the various videos on this topic .

Although it seems the process might be a little too involved? Or has it changed in recent versions of AM?

I presume 90+% of all the models you see in the professional CG world are textured with decals (or whatever their software terms the equivalent of that... "UV Mapping")

Painting a decal lets you put a detail exactly where you want on a model.

The other significant technique is Materials (AKA algorithmic textures AKA Perlin textures...). Materials are handy for general surfacing.

The BlueSky movie "Robots" was done with all algorithmic materials, no decals. However, I don't think they are as commonly used as painted textures are today.

I like using materials. Here are a few of my images that use Materials...

Materials: sky, hills, stonework, demon skin
Decals: box, demon eyes, eyebrows

BoschCOLOR.jpg

Materials: sky, cave and rock surface, dinosaur skin

Decals: "STATE", hair

T-RexTirade.jpg

Materials: almost everything except "STATE", "DO NOT TOUCH", and the hair.

DoNotTouch.jpg

Materials: Sky, woods, metals

Decals: gravel, hair

HandcarFB.png

Materials: all the surfaces including the wood and chipped paint effects are Materials.

Decal: can label

PaintFallPreviewAwardVid032.jpg

Is there a video tutorial that explains the process of taking a model to texturing and decaling and baking for export?

That's a big topic. Whole books and classes are made about CG texturing. However, texturing is probably where A:M is most like other software in the techniques used.

Hey @robcat2075

Thank you for your detailed explanation on the topic

Although, I meant that I was looking for a video tutorial or a series of tutorials on the subject as it applies to AM

I've been doing 3d since the 90s so I think I've got the basics covered :)

Some of the links for tutorials on texturing in AM are broken, or they redirect to the Forums homepage

I haven't been able to find a working texturing tutorial on the forums yet, maybe it's because there's a lot of content to go through and I might need to keep looking

Was there ever a Tech Talk done on the subject of texturing?

I've watched all of the Tech Talks and they are massively helpful

• Hash Fellow

Since you are already familiar with bitmap texturing in other 3D programs you may need to ask a more specific question as I am uncertain of what you are uncertain about regarding that in A:M.

The TAoAM tutorial EXERCISE 10: FW-190 FIGHTER includes introductory decaling.

My tutorial page has coverage of narrow topics under " Decals and Materials and Particles and Cloth"

Thanks @robcat2075

Perhaps I diluted my intended question the first time by making the post a bit verbose

There are a lot of really nicely made tutorials on modeling, rigging and animation and I've seen them all.

I've also been frequenting your Tutorial list, and there are a lot of those
Very kind of you to share your knowledge and a big thank you!

The reason for my original post was more to do with the 'lack' of decaling/texturing tutorials in AM, at least tutorials that would compare in 
completeness and quality of the tutorials on the other subjects like modeling, rigging and animation 

I did find a thread on a set of decaling videos from Jim Talbot but the links are broken and I can't seem to find them anywhere else

Were Jim's tutorials commercial or were they provided for free?

• Hash Fellow

I have Jim on Facebook, I'll ask if they are still available somewhere.

I suspect the reason there haven't been as many A:M-specific tutorials on texturing is that the practices are so similar to practices among all 3D software. There is already a large body of texturing information out there that can be used with A:M with little translation.

1 hour ago, robcat2075 said:

I have Jim on Facebook, I'll ask if they are still available somewhere.

I suspect the reason there haven't been as many A:M-specific tutorials on texturing is that the practices are so similar to practices among all 3D software. There is already a large body of texturing information out there that can be used with A:M with little translation.

Thanks, it would help a lot if Jim would allow for it 

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how to go about 'unwrapping' the models to then decal and stamp

I'll admit that I got a bit confused after watching @zandoriastudios decaling video on the subject

Decaling simple models is fine and very straight forward, no doubt 

Once you get to the unwrapping of complex models and messing around with flattening the mesh and so on... it's left me with a jumble of workflows that I can't seem to connect together