Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First Character - WoozleWuzzle

Hi, Thought it was about time to post something instead of simply reading everyone else's posts! I've been working on this 'guy' for the last couple of months, in between work, kids and all that... I've finally finished the basic model and now need to start tweeking / texturing / rigging etc. I'm armed with many tutorials (thanks to ShaunF for his wonderful and inspirational website, and 3DArtz for the CogJoints tutorial), so this could take a long while. Not even really sure what I'm going to do with him other than practise some animation, although I don't think this guy will be the brightest of sparks - I think I'll have a lot of fun with his eyes.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be hugely appreciated - it's taken ages to get this far, but oh what fun!

post-7-1082173187.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good! :D From his hips to his under-arms looks like it could use some work but I don't know your plans for this, of course. I would bring the belly down and maybe give him a little pot-belly and maybe some formation in the butt area. Can't wait to see him textured. Keep up the good work. :D

I agree. I think the belly and chest could use a little distinction. But then again, you may be going for something else... :rolleyes:

It seems like there's some pinching at the base of each eye-stalk... thing... what have you... I'm not sure how you can fix it, though. Maybe if you posted a closer-up wireframe?

-Andrew

Thanks for your comments, this is such a great forum. I'm posting a close up wireframe of the face, and I've spent the afternoon doing some tweaking of the butt / belly / nose etc. Does anyone have suggestions for smoothing the face a bit better? He looks like he had a bad case of acne as a teenager (maybe he did!). Thanks again.

post-7-1082211073.jpg

It looks to me like you're not really doing anything wrong with your eyestalks. Maybe you could trim up each of those hooks in it though? If that makes sense... I think you could probably get the same effect with less geometry there. Same with the ears. I think there's a few lines in the middle of each ear that aren't really adding anything to the character itself, and will probably just make it a pain to animate.

Are you using the porcelain material from the CD? If not, that could really help to smooth everything out more. I finally started using it for my second project and it makes a BIG difference.

Looks like a funny character! Keep it up! :D

-Andrew

I had a quick try of porcelain last night but it doesn't seem to like 5 point patches that much. There were a few problems around the armpits and other areas ... might try looking at my control points first. Andrew, what did you mean by trim up the hooks, get rid of them all together, or move them further up the eye stalk? Thanks for the animating advice too, as I've done nothing but the exercises that came with Hash so until this guy gets moving I'm relying on reading rather than experience to guide my spline usage. :lol:

Thanks, Tiffany.

I had a quick try of porcelain last night but it doesn't seem to like 5 point patches that much. There were a few problems around the armpits and other areas ...

Are you having this problem with porcelain? (see attached pic)

Oh, and I meant that you can probably stop those hook lines in the eyestalks a LOT higher up than the base. It seems almost like they could end right after the eyeball area, but I'm not sure from the picture. Just give them a good pruning. Your geometry will thank you. :lol:

-Andrew

post-7-1082247601.jpg

Just a thought -- you may consider using a lathe cross section of 4 (instead of 8) on your character's eye stalks. That way you wouldn't need to have any hooks where the eye stalks connect to the eyeballs on the one end and the head on the other. Plus it will reduce your patch count (which is always a good thing).

Interesting character. :)

Dean

• Admin

WoozleWuzzle eh?

I assume there is more than one WoozleWuzzle? No?

Looks interesting! Nothing really to say at this point concerning 'how' he's modeled. You are off to a good start!

As you tweak and refine keep flexibility in mind. What the character may be required in you stories/animations may dictate where you adjust and place your focus...

...try some mental exercises of visualizing WW (If I may call him that) climbing a ladder... reading a book... lounging in the yard... assuming he does things like that...

The character must be ready to act out your story... and from what I can see... looks like it will be an interesting story!

Keep postin'

I've removed the extra splines from the eye stalks and it looks oh so much cleaner :D Looking at it now (I did the head first), I'm not even sure how they got there! I also redid the very top of his head and that looks much better too. Thanks for the tips.

As for the name Woozle Wuzzle, definately the name of his 'species' me thinks. Looking at him, he may have a bit of trouble climbing a ladder (hehe) ... so ... I might start learning how to rig, and practise moving him around a bit before I start texturing him. That way, I don't loose hard texturing work should I need to 'adjust' him a tad :)