Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Disney's Moana

Rodney

• Admin

Just returned from watching Disney's Moana and...

Disney is still at the top of their game.

I started to model Maui when I got home... but failed miserably. ;)

I don't think I can fault the visuals in any way.

As for the story itself...

They rather oddly left a few dangling plot/character points but I'm willing to bet they've got plans for those in the future (ala spin off property or sequel). What makes it especially odd is that those elements are perhaps the high points for character merchandising with regard to the tale. I can only assume they thought they risked detracting from the main storyline and the focus on Moana by echoing those elements back into the story. I see those as missed opportunities and can think of several ways they might have proceeded without adding length to the story. There is something of an rule in storytelling that important elements must echo later in the story or those elements will appear unimportant, arbitrary or even... unnecessary. As such I come away from the movie feeling two entire sequences set up something that we never got to see the payoff for. I didn't stay for any end-credit scene but hope they thought to revisit those characters there.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Lots of fun. There's an end-credits sequence that's a fun reference to another Disney animated movie ...and the last graphic on the credits scroll is an image of Wreck-It Ralph, I guess saying that the sequel is their next production.