sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

renderman free

johnl3d

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I don't think I'd go through a third party site to access Renderman.
Especially since they claim it's a $495 product they can get to you for free.
It's actually a free product they can get to you for free.
And besides... Renderman isn't shareware.

Now, if they were discounting the commercial license of Renderman to $0... now... that'd be another story!

Pixar released and maintains the non commercial release of Renderman.

Going through SharewareonSale will just take you (eventually) to the same site you'd visit to download the product directly from PIXAR:

https://renderman.pixar.com/view/get-renderman

I figured I should investigate so I'm not just spouting nonsense. and sure enough here's what the SharewareOnSale site will tell you:

Before we tell you how to get this freebie, please note we have not given you the download link for RenderMan because the developer will give that to you directly.
That being said, to get your free copy of RenderMan, click here to go to the giveaway page and simply follow on-screen instructions and you will be creating your very own high-quality, animated movie in no time! You may need to run or install as admin if you are on Windows 7 or Windows 8/.

Can I sue them if I can't create my very own high-quality, animated movie in no time?
Hmmmm.... I should look into that.

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

Reportedly, PIXAR demo'd parts of their Renderman 22 release at SIGGRAPH.
There isn't much info available on what that consists of but there are some interesting highlights.

Previewing RenderMan 22, Pixar demo’d next-gen tech. “Always-on” rendering embedded in artist applications, responding instantly to geometry, camera, light and material edits delivers incredible interactive frame rates with the same renderer used for batch renders. Fast vectorized OSL shader network evaluation on Intel scalable-SIMD CPUs were also shown.

Another part of their demo covered what is being called Renderman XPU, where both CPU and GPU are utilized:

RenderMan XPU renders on both CPUs and GPUs concurrently, taking full advantage of workstation resources. RenderMan XPU was shown live on a production scene, demonstrating the power and artistic possibilities of this upcoming technology. More information on RenderMan XPU will become available closer to delivery.

Source: animationmagazine.net

There is an aspect to the first data point that almost makes we wonder if PIXAR has been reading this forum, as a 'Always on' approach to rendering has been something of a personal mantra... assuming that rendering itself is needed at all of course.

Yeah, but does it have a "Make Dragon" button? Seriously though I had looked into renderman when they first announced its release, but I couldn't see how it could fit into an A:M pipeline, or if it was even worth the effort.

• Admin

I'd say the likely pipeline for most A:M users to Renderman is through Blender as Blender has that connectivity to Renderman.

There is a release of Blender that is a little more user friendly than the standard build but I haven't had much time to explore.

Nemyax's plugin would be an essential part of the process as well.

The Blender port is BforArtists (Blender for Artists): https://www.bforartists.de/

I believe the initial Windows installer was just released a few days ago... I downloaded and installed and could actually navigate Blender... miracle of miracles.

One of the primary differences in the build is that it attempts to use a standard File menu for its interface.

I don't know if it'd be compatible with Renderman or Nemyax's plugin but it should be.

If you use Blender as the middleman, you won't get the exact same curvature as a direct data path would give you. Hash geometry is Hermite patches over Bezier splines (or the other way around, or something like that anyway), but Blender would output SDS.