Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Barber Pole Material

Tom

Hello Hashers-

In the past I have not gotten into designing materials much because there is a such a wealth of materials already available designed by others to choose from, and Dark Tree is also amazing...

...however I am trying to teach myself how to think like a Materials designer and I realized that I have no idea how to design a material for a barber pole.

The idea of designing a spiral color wrapping around a cylinder is beyond me..and designing two alternating colors is again bewildering.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!
Tom

BarberPole.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Unfortunately, A:M does not include a "Spiral" combiner. There was a 3rd party set of materials that did include one. I forget the name.

A decal would be most likely solution here.

If I were determined to do it with a native materiel in A:M my first gambit would be to use the Extended Grid Turb combiner to put vertical stripes on a cylinder and then, with a Pose, twist the cylinder.

Thank you both for the reply! I appreciate you taking the time!

I thought I was a bit crazy not being able to do it with the native combiner material tools of AM but now I realize it really is a tricky problem.

Until I can find the spiral combiner...it looks like decals it is!

thanks again!

Tom

• Hash Fellow

I'll note that Combiners typically have two attributes, one for each color.

One way to get more than two colors in a materiel (like Red White and Blue) is to change one of the two attributes into yet another Combiner. This is "nested" combiners.

And I just know you need another solution (this was done for a rotating candy cane) that uses a decal

if you want more stripes on the pole - just increase the cylindrically applied image repeat count to 3 x 5 (or more, instead of the default 3 x1).

The image used for the decal can be painted to include multiple colors, just as long as the image is tileable horizontally.