Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

3D Manufacturing Format (3MF)

Rodney

• Admin

This is news to me...

Reportedly...

The 3MF file format is being developed to avoid pitfalls of previous formats used in 3D printing.

Microsoft is pushing the format for use with Windows 10 because all other formats fell short..

Code/specs are freely available on github.

Etc.

http://3mf.io

http://3mf.io/what-is-3mf/

https://github.com/3mfconsortium

http://3mf.io/what-is-3mf/3mf-specification/

They certainly aren't escaping 'triangles' with this implementation (more akin to embracing them) but it just might provide some useful information regarding conduit to/through a new 'universal' format.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
My money is on stl. It works and is easy to fix.

I'd guess there are other issues but at present I'd say the primary issue with STL (not being sufficient) is how it handles textures (or the lack thereof) as STL only describes the geometry and ignores all color data.

Theoretically (if not in a rather primitive way as it resorts to tessellation to triangles) this format could resolve the issue of model interchange between programs with respect to retention of color/textures.

In the case of splines/patches it wouldn't resolve the incompatibility but rather be the main conduit through which color data is exchanged.

The added benefits being that the color/textures viewed in the physical world (of printed 3D objects) would be the same as that observed in the computer on a virtual stage.

As 3MF is also a container (zip format) it goes beyond being a single isolated file as well.

The 3MF format is designed to be the complete model information contained within a single archive: mesh, textures, materials, colours and print ticket.

Transforms and object references are said to be supported, with multiple objects contained within the single archive, while single objects can be referenced or moved without changing the mesh, and multiple identical objects placed referencing the same mesh.

Many modern 3d printers can accept obj files now and that has been used on the color printers already. Honestly there is no need for additional formats but rather better 3d printing software. In particular it would be nice to load cad files directly and support sat, iges, 3dm. Direct import of a cad model would insure highest possible resolution of the model for that printer and be better optimized and more portable (smaller file size). Essentially this would be the postscript of the 3d world and shy away from the fixed resolution of poly based geometry (the bitmaps of he 3d world).

How do you like your printer btw? I love the Form1+ but as with all photopolymer printers the parts lack durability and tend to be brittle and fragile. Fine for majority of the type of work I use it for.

Holler if your interested in printing parts for $.

• Admin
Many modern 3d printers can accept obj files now and that has been used on the color printers already. Honestly there is no need for additional formats but rather better 3d printing software. In particular it would be nice to load cad files directly and support sat, iges, 3dm. Direct import of a cad model would insure highest possible resolution of the model for that printer and be better optimized and more portable (smaller file size). Essentially this would be the postscript of the 3d world and shy away from the fixed resolution of poly based geometry (the bitmaps of he 3d world).

I dunno, it sounds like much of what you desire is being stared at in the 3MF format. Folks tend to poo poo Microsoft's involvement but Autodesk's involvemet in the consortium might help the format to grow legs.

How do you like your printer btw?

I can't say I've really had a successful print yet (I don't count the cube and the teeny tiny Thom).

I set the printer aside for awhile hoping to get some quality time to play with it later and 'later' has yet to arrive.

Thanks for the offer on use of your printing service. I don't have anything needing that now but when the need arises I'll certainly keep you in mind.

it would be nice to load cad files directly and support sat, iges, 3dm

Maybe they still don't because of the risk of different spline function implementations introducing discrepancies. Whereas with triangles there's only one way you can interpret the data. But maybe not—just thinking out loud.

You could be right. I would think Companies like McNeal, SolidWorks and Others have an interest in this and could provide proper sdk's to the 3d printer companies.

Maybe the 3d printer companies are just tanking the lazy way out?

Seems crazy to me because manufacturers widely supply free models of their products via sat and iges which would ideal for product designers to better layout proxies and make dummy equipment for various purposes, ie funding, design etc.