Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hot Keys for Animating

Have started to try and set up some hot keys to speed up the animation process.

Does any body have a method they use to short cut, setting keys on bones in a chor or action ?

I started going through them on the keyboard but, they all seem to be already set.

Any Suggestions welcome.

regards

simon

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

Perhaps you can clarify or reword the question?

I've been staring at keyboard shortcut assignments and that might be why I am misunderstanding.

I believe you are talking about both keyboard shortcuts and the setting of keyframes but that's about as far as I follow your question.

Shortcuts specific to animating you say...

Well not so much keyboard shortcuts these but if you have a multi button mouse that you can "program" I have found setting buttons on that very helpful.

First and for most for me was setting a mouse button to bring up the 'Rotate' manipulator on a selected bone, closely followed by another button to activate the general 'Turn' tool in a Chor.

Were these the sort of things you had in mind?

As a foot note sadly the makers of my mouse, a bluetooth Targus, no longer support it and a while back a System update broke something and now the programmed buttons only work if they are double clicked (used to be a single click) and at a specific speed! :blink:

So if I may broaden your question Simon if any others here have recommendations for programmable mice that play nice with AM it might be good to hear those suggestions too.

• Hash Fellow
First and for most for me was setting a mouse button to bring up the 'Rotate' manipulator on a selected bone, closely followed by another button to activate the general 'Turn' tool in a Chor.

So if I may broaden your question Simon if any others here have recommendations for programmable mice that play nice with AM it might be good to hear those suggestions too.

I have the 5-button Microsoft Intellimouse with an extra button on each side.

I realized the two things I did most when I was animating was Rotate and Play so I put Rotate on the left and Play on the right. I love that and I like how the Intellimouse has the two extra buttons positioned. Using the center roller for Zoom and Move works by default and those are great also.

For some reason, since v18 came in, I've noticed that the mouse buttons don't do anything until after I've used the keyboard shortcuts for Rotate and Play for the first time in a session, then they work again.

Have started to try and set up some hot keys to speed up the animation process.

Does any body have a method they use to short cut, setting keys on bones in a chor or action ?

I started going through them on the keyboard but, they all seem to be already set.

Any Suggestions welcome.

regards

simon

I also am not sure of your question. Could you clarify?

Apologies all for lack of clarity in question ( i'm in the midst of blocking a dance sequence and I'm not a choreographer ! ).

Think I may have mixed up my terminology.

What I'm after are the keyboard short cuts to set keys for the bone values, Rotate and Translate, on new frames.

At the moment I am having to move the mouse over the key icon and click there.

Short cuts are used for other things, S for scale, N for translate, R for rotate and so on.

Wondered if there was a standard setting for make key ?

When the pointer is over the icon a hint comes up in a bracket saying Insert but ( being the tech savvy person I am ) couldn't find the Inset key on the keyboard ... pause for laughter elsewhere.

Tried to set it up under options but nearly all keyboard buttons seem to be already assigned to something ?

regards

simon.

PS

If using my intuous tablet perhaps assign it to the buttons on that ?

• Hash Fellow

In Tools>Customize>Toolbars make sure you have "Show Tooltips" on

When I hover over the Force Keyframe Button the tooltip that appears says "Force Keyframe (Insert)"

edit: I see you've already done the above.

The tooltip for every button should show if there is a shortcut assigned already.

Pressing the "Insert" Button (above the Delete) button will do the same as the Force Keyframe button.

On my keyboard the Insert button is above the Delete Key which is above the cursor keys. If you have a short keyboard it may be elsewhere.

in Tools>Customize>Keyboard you can look up any button to see if it has a keyboard shortcut assigned and change or create a keyboard shortcut it you wish.

There are still lots of possibilities to assign shortcut keys with ALT or CTRL or SHIFT

• Hash Fellow

CTRL+I is unassigned on my A:M. You could assign Make Keyframe to that.

I recommend using a combination like that so you don't accidentally make keyframes by hitting a single key.

• Hash Fellow

However, I've almost never used a keyboard shortcut for Make Keyframe. A:M auto keys anything you change yourself and the Make Keyframe button seemed to be conveniently located.

None-the-less, you can detach any toolbar and drag it to sit anywhere on your screen if it's not conveniently located for your workflow.