Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to create an action ?

Xtaz

Take it easy...

I know what you thought when you read the subject....

My question is about another kind of action, like photoshop one I would like to create a sequence of steps then reproduce them in another projects.

Is this possible anyway ???

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
Is this possible anyway ???

I haven't found a way for users to do "macros" in A:M.

Plugins can be written to consolidate several steps into one but you have to be a programmer to make them.

What is it you want to do? May be there is a way for that particular thing.

• Admin

As Robert suggests there are ways to get this done but knowing what success might look like will help.

As A:M doesn't have a native macro recording capability I see two primary ways to record and replay your activity (in A:M):

1) Perform the process and save it (in whatever appropriate format). Reimport that result again where desired.

Pro: Easily Accomplished Con: Locating files, Not all processes easily recorded

(The example of this is things that can be stored in the Library. If it can be saved as an Action, Model, etc. then it can be immediately played back via drag and drop.)

Not quite what you are after here.

2) Use a keystroking utility to record keystrokes, save that and then play that back.

Pro: It works! Con: Not all commands have shortcut keystrokes, Mouse recording is usually screen size dependent

(I thought this was going to be a great solution for sharing recordings with other A:M users until my tests revealed too much variation in everyone's screen layout (variations in menu placement as well as monitor resolution etc.). Note that this can work quite well in a single session with the same layout. A fuller solution might have the playback set the layout first... then play back the rest of the recording.)

Closer to what you are after here.

Added: For this second approach I should have noted that I was using freeware keystroke/mouse/macro recording and those often are more limited than software you might pay a little for. The paid solutions might work but I was looking for a more universal solution for A:M users. For those with the requirement, Macro recorders that cost a few dollars may be well worth looking into. The utility I was playing with back then was TinyTask. TinyTask is free (Windows only). vTask Studio, which is quite nice and may accomplish what you desire, is $69.

Edit: I'm going to add this because I believe this is a direction that could be useful.

The vTask Studio commands are stored in XML format and as such can be modified in a plain text editor.

Example code:

Comment

MCS Direct IP Printer Install Script ALPHA TEST

Select from List

Please choose a location from the list:

Uno

Dos

Tres

MCS Direct IP Printer Install Script

Variable

Display Message

You chose %building!

command = {command}

command_id = {command_id}

Test

So, you only have to record an activity once. Then you can use it again as needed.

Following this basic approach one could record all the standard processes in A:M and have them all at your scripting disposal to include custom processes you create (ex: Model a dragon and then assign that whole process to a 'Make Dragon' button.**)

Of note: Other programs/utilities such as AutoIt (which is free) can also do this although in my estimation not as elegantly.

Note that the primary downside of a vTask solution would be that it is for Windows only.

For Windows users, they do have a 30 trial... so check it out.

**Saving a Dragon to the A:M Library would be easier but with scripting playback you could include branching of code that solicits user input to create variations for the original dragon.

• Admin

I downloaded TinyTask and vTask and played a little.

You really only need TinyTask for the basic recording requirements.

In a moment I'll upload a (very raw) example of recording and playing back the process of splining a simple vase.

A few notes regarding the video.

- No audio (I have a cold anyway)

- Not shown in the video, I used A:M's Toolbar to set up a shortcut in A:M's dropdown menu to run a program called Go.exe.

This go.exe is the recorded session which I update and run again during the course of the video

- At one point the playback runs back through a few processes that are unnecessary

(Example: In the first recording I used the right/click menu to set render mode to shaded wireframe. Since this had already been accomplished while recording the first time the process is repeated but doesn't really accomplish anything because that process is already completed)

Disclaimer: If I were to change my layout in any way parts of the playback would fail because when I recorded I used mouse movement. Therefore if the mouse were to move to a location that is no longer here it wouldn't have the same icon/item to execute... although... it might activate something else! Therefore it is always better to record keyboard shortcuts because those won't change unless you specifically change the shortcuts in A:M. Therefore, folks that routinely use keyboard shortcuts in A:M will benefit moreso than those not familiar with those presets.

This does demonstrate the precision that can be accomplished when recording processes in A:M but there are definitely things to watch out for and layout of the screen must be taken into account for recording of mouse movement because that playback of relative positioning relies on things to remain at the same screen location. As such it is usually better to rely on keystrokes or image-based navigation.

Note that this video is simply the recording and playback of lathing a vase.

As such, there is not much to see here.

PsuedoMacros_in_AM.mov

• Admin

Here is playback showing a new model being rigged by an older 'macro' recording.

A more effective method might seek out Group Names, hide all other geometry and then assign a specific Bone to everything visible in the window.

While the video example attached is overly simple it does demonstrate that automation can be accomplished.

AutoAutoRigPlayback.mp4

Outstanding....

Thank you Robert...

Rodney hits the bull´s eye, Vtask is what I was looking for.

I'm trying to integrate A:M with an external renderer.

• Admin
I'm trying to integrate A:M with an external renderer.

Keep us up to date on how that works out.

Now you've got me thinking of other things that can be automated/recorded in A:M... and of course not all require utilities such as vTask.

It's amazing how forward thinking the text is from 'The Art of Animation:Master'.

I recall Martin Hash stating therein, 'Reusability is the foundation of Animation:Master'.

To which I say, "True dat." :)