Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

AM models to 3d pdf?

I was wondering if anyone has been able to export a Hash model to 3d pdf? I was thinking I could use an obj format to keep textures but not sure what converters are there out there that might be free?

Basically I want to be able to show mock ups of items to my customers with their imprints on them so they can easily show their customers. I have been rendering stills but that can be tedious when they want different views and only tell me after the images are rendered.

I did stumble across Meshlabs, when I first tried it the program was a clunker. Seems they have really fixed it. Perfect for those who want to close openings and fix meshes for 3d printing. Free of course.

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net

Nice to see they have all platforms covered, Mac, PC, Linux

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

I don't know much about 3D pdf. I couldn't find anything real clear on the web.

If you just need to show someone a model in 3d there is the p3d.in site you could upload an OBJ to. The A:M OBJ exporter seems to include textures now.

my Trex on p3D

If you do find a convenient path to 3D pdf, let us know more.

• Admin

Meshlabs is the means I've used to get A:M Models into PDF files.

I was contemplating doing something like this for model kits for the A:M Exchange area.

Then... I realized how much work that was going to be.

It's been a few months since I converted but I think Adobe Acrobat still does not accept OBJ files directly.

But in Meshlab you can convert to U3D or PRC (as those are the only formats Acrobat PDF files can use).

Disclaimer: I've only used U3D.

Here's a write up from back in 2009 that appears to still be mostly accurate.

The main difference being that Adobe 3D is now part of Adobe Pro.

As I recall, that functionality (the ability to use 3D models) needs to be turned on in the preferences though.

• Admin

I couldn't find my previous pdfs but here's a quicktest exporting/importing Shaggy from A:M through Meshlab into Acrobat.

I believe that what I was going to go for was the A:M model file attached to a PDF rather than converted/embedded.

That'd work well as attaching can be done with the freely available Acrobat viewer.

I figured most folks with an interest would have a copy of A:M handy to view the files and a rendered image could accompany the file as the background of the actual PDF.

Added: My memory says that the 3D model doesn't show in an online Acrobat Reader PDF browser window.

Folks have to download the file first and then interact.

shaggy.pdf

• Admin

I am reminded that there are some pretty cool views in the options for 3D model viewing in PDF.

One is the intersection/cut plane. I could see something like that being useful.

Custom views of the model can be saved so that they can be used/viewed by via the dropdown menu.

Those views can then be recalled/triggered via 3D comments.

In such a way an interactive tutorial or walkthrough could be created.

pdf.jpg

• Admin

You want to make sure the texture is saved when exporting/converting the Model from OBJ (or whatever) to .U3D.

Enable Advanced options in the Export panel of Meshlabs and look for the texture options on the last tab.

Textured.jpg

• Admin
Well, that's pretty neat! - took awhile for pdf viewer to respond, but eventually it did.

My mesh exported from A:M may have been more dense than necessary.

I picked 16 subdivisions because I didn't want it to be too sharp and faceted. (I probably should have opted for 'variable')

Ah, if only splines were the favored model format... life would be so much sweeter.

• Admin
Is it only in Acrobat Pro that has the option to import a 3d file? I have the free version since I only use it as a reader.

The reader can do a lot more than it use to but you'll need Acrobat Pro to embed 3D.

Acrobat comes with a Creative Cloud subscription so if you have that suite of tools already you have the capability.

For those on a tight budget, one could always farm that work out to someone with Acrobat Pro/CC so you wouldn't have to trouble yourself with it.

i notice my reader has "CreatePDF Online" under File

I've never used that service but doubt it has the 3D embedding capability.

The creators of the 3D tools used in Acrobat were charging a premium for its use (that is to say for the whole 3D embedding solution) as a plugin previously.

I'm not crazy about the cloud, few of my customers have it and they reverted back to old versions due to downtime from trying to connect to Adobe.

Wonder how secure uploading your signature from Acrobats echo sign feature is? They should have a box where you can upload your SS# too along with blood type and any other misc data you might want to "securely" store on some unknown server somewheres in the world....

Always wondered what goes through the tiny brains in corporate to come up with this crap. Maybe the average IQ out there as diminished below the 60 mark and I never realized it until recently.

Thanks for your help, I'll look into some other avenues to do this.