Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Micro: The First Truly Consumer 3D Printer

Rodney

• Admin

It's been awhile since we've seen a post about 3D Printers on Kickstarter...

Here's one that recently launched that is already exceeding $2 million of their initial $50K goal with 24 days still to go.

At a glance I'd say there is some interest in the technology...

It's certainly small.

Added: It seems the majority of folks are opting in to one of the various $299 options.

AND NOTE... MOST OF THESE OPTIONS ARE GONE.

What they appear to be doing is adding new $299 options but with subsequently later release dates.

As of this moment it looks like that tier would expect a February 2015 shipping date.

The Micro: The First Truly Consumer 3D Printer

From their write up:

Technical Specifications

Printer Dimensions: It's a cube, 7.3 in (185 mm) per side.

It is lightweight, roughly 2.2 lb (1 kg).

It can also be used with any Windows, Mac, or Linux based system.

USB-Compatible connection.

Supports many different materials: ABS, PLA, Nylon, and more.

Filament: standard 1.75mm. Nearly 1/2 lb (225 g) rolls.

Standard filament rolls also supported.

Removable Print Bed.

50-350 micron layer resolution.

15 micron X and Y positioning accuracy.

Dimensions: Print height: 116mm (4.6"). Base Print Area: 109mm x 113mm. Print Area Above 74mm: 91mm x 84mm.

M3D software for an effortless, plug-and-play experience.

Supports and uses open source software (for advanced users).

15 Innovations

M3D has introduced many innovations in the field of filament-based 3D printing with the introduction of The Micro:

1. Most space-efficient 3D printer ever made.

2. Light-weight, portable design fits nicely on your desk.

3. Micro motion chip provides completely automatic leveling and calibration.

4. Most quiet 3D printer ever made.

5. Lowest power consumption 3D printer ever made.

6. Carbon fiber rods: light, sturdy, self-lubricating and long-lasting

7. Ceramic heater for rapid heat-up, power efficiency, reliability and safety.

8. Bold colors. Choose from Silver, Black, Blue, RedOrange, and Green.

9. New filament materials like Chameleon PLA.

10. Inspirational Micro filament spools.

11. Modernized touch-capable software.

12. Replaceable print beds for alternative materials.

13. Replaceable nozzles for experimenters.

14. Designed for fast assembly in the US for quality control.

15. An ABS-based print bed allows you to print larger ABS parts.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
the print size seems a bit small for things I imagine myself wanting to do.

The small size is actually a selling point for me because I don't want to find myself spending a ton of money on the creation of larger items.

I figure prototyping smaller objects on this thing would be proof enough to be able to take larger items to a larger 3D printer or service should I have that requirement (which is considerably more unlikely).

The smaller size is more for that need for instant gratification without breaking the bank.

I need to take the plunge on a 3D printer sooner or later so...

I just signed up for one so ask me if I have any regrets come February 2015. :rolleyes:

I was broke a week ago and for my own good I probably should have stayed broke.

• Admin
but the 3D ink costs a fortune.

That's another thing I like about these guys approach.

In their write up they state that they are opposed to the 'ink jet' proprietary model that forces people to use only their products and they appear to be committed to keeping access open, even to the point where the nozzles are designed to be replaced by those with the desire to innovate beyond what they have already opened to.

I see that the company supported several other kickstarter project that are compatible with their effort, one of which was related to material that can be used in a variety of 3D printers.

Time will tell how open these products are but I think the entire world is opposed to repeating the mistakes experienced by having ink cartridges become so proprietary and expensive.

3D printing is going to be huge and I they want to be a part of that.

One what to accomplish that goal is to be the first to market with a product such as the one they plan to mass produce.

Can they keep up with the big boys that have millions already in hand to produce such things... I think so.

but the 3D ink costs a fortune.

That's another thing I like about these guys approach.

This is quite common for most 3d printers. There are some which do not do it this way, but most of them can handle any spool you want. I think with their "seemless" design it will be much harder to get spools to fit in there from other manufactures than for instance it will be for the Makerbot Replicator 2 (4th generation). There the spool is hold outside the printer and you can plugin in all the sizes you want. I printed myself own spoolholders, since some spools have smaller hole-diameters, but after that, I could print with anything I got from 5 different manufactores...

Can they keep up with the big boys that have millions already in hand to produce such things... I think so.

We will see... the price tag for a fully assembled printer is really very low... even the open source kits out there will often cost you more than that and preassembled is more likely even more expensive.

I think they calculate that price with a high sales quantity which they first have to archive... but I wish them luck.

For me it does not make much sense you get one, since I own my Replicator 2 already, but I may just for the fun of it buy one in future if they can provide that price...

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: If you are into 3d printing or interested to see something about that, you may want to visit my blog, where I often post some infos about my prints and printer-updates:

PatchWork3d: Blog

• Hash Fellow

I couldn't find a gallery of pictures of printouts. Is there one? The one pic in the Kickstarter page was suspiciously soft-focus.

I'm also surprised this offering hasn't exceeded the Kickstarter guidelines on selling products.

• Admin
I couldn't find a gallery of pictures of printouts. Is there one? The one pic in the Kickstarter page was suspiciously soft-focus.

Did you watch the video at the top of the kickstarter page?

That has several examples as well as a (sped up) example of printing a vase.

The shapes in the video may or may not be created with the M3D but they are suggesting that is in fact the case.

I'm also surprised this offering hasn't exceeded the Kickstarter guidelines on selling products.

I'm not sure which guideline that would be.