sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Dreamworks 'Almost Home'

Rodney

• Admin

When I first saw this I thought it was a trailer for an upcoming movie... did I just imagine that it's suppose to eventually be a full feature?

Hmm.

Aw well, at any rate they've released this short (starring the voice of Steve Martin as the alien leader) for all to see:

FavW-Y1kaxs

Something to note: The length of this film is a good measure for shorts.

It runs 4 minutes 7 seconds which includes intro and credits.

And yet it is more than sufficient to tell the story.

It also reminds me of some old A:M shorts.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first saw this I thought it was a trailer for an upcoming movie... did I just imagine that it's suppose to eventually be a full feature?

`They're almost here... meet our future leaders from DreamWorks Animation's upcoming feature film HOME, invading theaters November 26th.`

amazing character animations !!!!

• Admin
They're almost here... meet our future leaders from DreamWorks Animation's upcoming feature film HOME, invading theaters November 26th.`

I thought I had read that right!

Thanks Marcos.

What's a little funny discovering this short is that just prior to finding it I had been to several animation blogs that discussed at length the benefits of characters that are 'two heads tall'.

This is pretty well known so I didn't think that much of it but as I started to look around I began to see two head tall characters every time I clicked my mouse.

I started to think, how long will it be before all the film companies start thinking they need to put out movies with characters that are exclusively two heads tall because that is where the money is. Then I almost immediately ran into this short film and then saw the 'coming soon... feature film... blahblahblah'.

These are very simple characters but they didn't cop out entirely as evidenced by the multiple appendages.

It'll be interesting to see how they differentiate the characters even more in the film.

With Despicable Me's legion of minions and PIXAR's monsters etc. etc. it wasn't going to be long before Dreamworks dived into the two heads tall arena.

Given that these films take five or more years to generate I'd say this 'two heads tall' thing has been in the gestation stage for quite some time.

One wonders who else this desire for edgy cuteness may rub off on.

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

A new trailer is out for 'Home'.

This shows that the movie will be quite different than the previous trailer implied, which seemed to focus fully on the aliens. (well, yeah... they hadn't yet reached earth)

Not necessarily good or bad but very different than I was expecting based on the original trailer.*

joNsI90c7OM

Home Trailer

*Minor thought/observation: Whereas the first trailer invited everyone to empathize with the aliens the focus on the latter appears to narrow that opportunity to syncing with one of two characters (the alien or the girl... it's unlikely although not impossible that many will sync with the cat). I assume there will be additional opportunity to see more of ourselves in the other aliens in the movie but they sure aren't there in this trailer. One of the fun anticipatory elements of the initial trailer was that every planet the Boove encoutered was uninhabitable if not doomed in part because the alien Boove had accidentally chanced upon it. Thereby suggesting the Earth's days are numbered because of their arrival. This new trailer appears to point the finger to the one alien 'O' for those catastrophes. How all that plays into the movie, if at all, we'll have to wait and see.