Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Surface Properties and Scale

largento

This is something I've been playing with I thought people might find interesting...

Here's a render of two models. It's the same mesh copied from one file and placed in another. The surprise part is that they both have the exact same surface properties!

rough_scale0.png

The difference is that the first model is significantly smaller than the second one. It's scale has been changed in the choreography to match the second model. But notice that the roughness settings have been scaled to match. I've found I can get some interesting looks this way.

Obviously, you could also experiment with the roughness amount and scale to get the look, but it's interesting to me that the effect scales.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin
The different ways that "scale" can happen is something I've made a fair number of missteps on.

Yes, when first reading Mark's post my initial reaction was, "Oh, that's not a good thing."

But very good things can be derived from not so good things and in that Mark has shed a little light.

If nothing else, it does show the importance of scale when you're building your models. I kind of play it by ear, usually bringing things into a choreography and adjusting the scale to get everything to match and then making those scale changes to the models.

I wouldn't characterize this as a bug. I think it's useful to have as an option.

I like happy accidents. :-)

I should point out that by scale I mean just in relationship with the other models in the project, not exact size.

I personally like working with small models because it seems to simplify lighting and camera angles and such, but then I'm going for a kind of smaller-than-life look to begin with.