Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Feature suggestion/Request

Wildsided

Hi guys,

I don't know exactly where we're supposed to post feature requests so I'll post it here and if it's wrong I'm sure Rodney can move it and I apologize in advance if this is the case.

Anyway I've been messing about with cloth a lot recently on one of my models and testing it can be a very lengthy process. Often a few frames in if something isn't set up properly the cloth with go nuts but continue to simulate. At this point you can either wait for it to finish in a jumbled mess (or reach a point where it cannot solve the simulation) or force close A:M altogether and reload.

So the feature I'm suggesting is an 'Abort simulation' option. Much like you can abort a render if it's taking too long or you realize something is not set up properly.

I'm no programmer and there may well be a perfectly logical reason this cannot be done. But it'd be a welcome feature for me at least if it could be implemented at some point.

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
I'm sure Rodney can move it

Sorry, I can't move forum posts into A:M Reports which is where you'll want to file your feature requests.

We can discuss the pros/cons and such about ideas here in the forum but the firstest and bestest way to get something fixed or added in A:M is through A:M Reports.

It's a database of bugs, fixes and feature requests.

Since every idea is a good idea in some capacity or other we can vet the ideas here with regard to 'how' such a thing might be accomplished and programmers can weigh in on how expensive (in time and talent if not in wages) it'd might be to implement.

My take on aborting simulation would be to attack the very root of a users need for the simulation in the first place by suggesting where possible not to launch any unnecessary simulation. ;)

I'm trying to think of reasons why a simulation might not be able to be interrupted.

I can't think of any save one... a continuous check would have to be conducted to see if the user wishes to abort the process.

A similar issue use to exist with rendering until the Abort button was added (I have a vague recollection of A:M pushing the Escape key repeatedly**)

It is during the calculation process that most users probably desire to terminate the process.

How often should the check be conducted? Obviously not after every calculation but perhaps at key moments before large amounts of memory are allocated, released or reallocated.

The question I ask is "What might success look like?"

Simulation is initiated with a big button promenently displayed that says, "Terminate Simulation".

At any given time the user may push the "Terminate Simulation" button and the next time the test is conducted and a user request for termination = true then A:M would exit to a path where calculations stop and memory is freed. Note that it wouldn't suffice to just stop calculating.

**What Robert said!