Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

I need a 3D... filler?

rusty

Hi,

What I'm after is a still shot of matter spiraling into a black hole. 3D streaks of...lets say dust or clouds. Lets just consider a cube (instead of the entire spiral)...if only there was a material that would fill it with 3D clouds but, to my knowledge, materials don't work that way, they apply themselves to flat patches and can have bump or perhaps even displacement for depth.

Like the above, what I'll probably do is just whack out the sides and ends of the cube so I have two patches and, instead of a material (and longer render times), I'll just apply a cookie cutter image of my cloud streaks and then apply a deformation map to give them a 3D look (from the top or camera anyway)...maybe try a bump map to add smaller details. That's only two levels so not too '3D cloud streaky' like but perhaps good enough. Could add a 3rd level...still, it's 'levels'.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Rusty

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

In the tuts link in my signature there is a demonstration of volumetric clouds with a material. However I think that is more complex than what you need.

I suggest applying a map to represent your "matter" to a grid and then warp the grid into whirlpool shape.