Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

What am I doing wrong? I need a model of

rusty

Hi,

Please watch the video (link below) and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I need a model of a sphere rotated forward 90 degrees. At the end of the video you'll

see the splines warp??? BTW at the end I hit the space bar several times refreshing so it isn't a refresh error. This the latest version 17.

Thanks,

Rusty

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried to replicate your modelling, but I didn't get the same twisting. I am working in version 18, so it may be a bug in ver. 17. A much easier way to accomplish the sphere you want, is to use the wizard "primitive" to make a sphere, and then rotate it 90 degress. I'm attaching one here. Merry christmas!!

• Hash Fellow

How interesting!

i have never in my life rotated an object 90° by typing in that number .

I've always been using the rotate manipulator and turning it manually which works fine since the angle snap is large enough to hit 90 exactly.

When i do it by Rusty's method I do indeed get those crooked splines in both v17 and v 18.

Rusty, i suggest you make an AM Report of this (for v18).

For now, manually turning the Rotate Manipulator will get you what you want.

Yes that's a bug you've found there Rusty :(

I just tried it in v18 and v17g and get the same as you. So yes probably worth you submitting a bug report.

Its the Alpha and Gamma settings that are getting reset on some splines. You can open the properties for them and just type in 0 to correct the affected ones.

Interestingly its only ever the top of the sphere that gets distorted not bottom, regardless of the direction turned and only seems to happen on that first rotation.

As Robert says, manually turning the sphere with the Rotate handles still works with no unexpected results.

Thanks for the replies! Are you both on Windows? I'm wondering why one of you saw it happen in V18 and one didn't. I always 'type in the number' because I

keep the rotator snap at .5--just works better for me. I guess the primitive wizard is faster...old habits die hard. Ah... the wife is calling me...nothing but run,

run, run this time of year. I don't have 18 yet and it is far more important to report the bug in v18...I'm not sure how long they fix bugs in previous versions

or how important they view it. If one of you can make it happen in 18, please report it. Plus, I'm not sure when I'll have time online again.

• Admin

Late to the party here. Very interesting. I guess I haven't used that particular way to rotate a sphere although I do type in numbers to rotate things quite frequently.

Like Rusty I prefer to type numbers in wherever I can.

For some reason that rotation adjusts the Gamma/Alpha of those few splines at the one (bottom) pole.

Adjusting those Gammas and Alphas back to 0 gets us back to a smooth sphere again.

What is strange is that I can't reproduce the same effect with any other shape than a sphere.

Further, if we simply create the spline to be lathed from scratch, lathe the sphere and then rotate the sphere after it is created the error isn't produced.

Pressing further it appears that this error is setup prior to lathing.

For example, if we invert the spline that will be lathed the error will be at the same location (now at the top of the sphere)

Update: When lathing a 12 section cyclinder to extract the half circle for lathing our sphere we can more easily see the error at the end of the spline.

(note that I'm working in v18 here)

SphereRotationProblem.png

error_before_lathing_sphere.png

• Admin

Here's a simple case to illustrate...

How to reproduce:

- Create a two CP spline

- Lathe with 4 sections (other cross sections can also be used but 4 illustrates this error well)

- Extract the top half out of the cylinder and rotate (for readying the shape to lathe a sphere)

- Rotate by typing in 90 degree rotation on X axis

- Note error introduced to Alpha and Gamma at top of "C" shape

- Also note that this takes place prior to lathing the sphere

Hi Rodney, I too played some more with this this morning.

After making 10 or 12 of these I did notice that the end of the sphere that distorts seems to be dependant on which side of that initial spline circle is removed. Removing the left side gets you distortions at the top of the sphere and removing the right side gets distortions at the bottom of the sphere.

Interestingly I never saw the distortion at the end of the 'C' shaped spline that you captured in your screenshot before making the sphere with it?

• 1 month later...

Hi gang,

Between trying to keep writing deadlines and managing the people I hired to do my author website and promote book one I've zero time for AM (NO FAIR!).

Was this problem submitted to Hash as a bug? And, thank you all for all your efforts in reproducing it and testing it!!!

I've purchased V18 and am exploring it and trying to decide between it and 17 for book 2's book trailer. (Why doesn't my text wrap??? -- I'll use hard returns for now???)

Cheers,

Rusty

PS: Over 5,000 people in 12 countries have book one now! I'm actually making some money finally.