sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

reviews of Intel's new "Haswell" CPU i7-4770K

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Typically very-wordy reviews by tech sites...

http://www.techspot.com/review/679-intel-h...-core-i7-4770k/

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...k_12.html#sect0

It seems top be incremental improvements in certain regards but mostly about better built-in graphics, which are probably still not adequate for our 3D applications.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically very-wordy reviews by tech sites...

http://www.techspot.com/review/679-intel-h...-core-i7-4770k/

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...k_12.html#sect0

It seems top be incremental improvements in certain regards but mostly about better built-in graphics, which are probably still not adequate for our 3D applications.

i7 4770K is the try of Intel to have a product which can compete with APUs from AMD (like the AMD A10-5800K which offers a much better built-in graphic) and ARMs for the mobile-market.

It is not about CPU-power but much more about GPU, but they are still lacking behind AMDs APUs with their built-in graphic power.

They were horrible slow compared with APUs regarding the graphic card before and the newest seems to be a little better, but still not that fast. On the other hand: CPU-power is a little higher with Intel's CPUs.

These processor-types (especially APUs) are very well suited for systems on budget (simply because you do not need a graphiccard for 100 Euros (the inbuilt-one is worth about that money) and you can use a direct communication between CPU and GPU (APU = CPU + GPU on one chip) and will often have a lower power consumption. (because of that AMD's APUs are used in the new Playstation 4 and XBox One)

None of these (C/A)PUs will give a very high performance for rendering (since an expensive CPU and an expensive GPU will always outperform these budget once) but it is in general much faster than built-in graphiccards before (like the once built in on the mainboards).

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

quote from the second review above...

After a very long and anxious wait we can finally take a close look at one of the fourth generation Core processors for desktops, which is based on the new Haswell microarchitecture. Significantly higher performance, better energy-efficiency, excellent overclocking – all this isn’t the case. What happened?

$279.99 at microcenter (in person only)

For that price that looks like a decent value that would edge out other candidates. The built-in graphics would be adequate for a render box if that's what you were using it for.

Depends highly on what you want to do:

- For games the new AMD A10-6800K is up to 35% faster. (because the graphiccard is just much better)

- CPU-wise, i7 4770K is (much) better.

For A:M i7 4770k can be great because it has a good performance single-threaded and a good one multi-threaded too... so if you alreay have an i7 or an AMD FX 8350 you do not need to get one of these...

Both AMDs the a10-6800k for gaming and the AMD FX 8350 for rendering are less expensive...

See you

*Fuchur*