Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M V17g: uninstall and install questions

rusty

Hi!

Question 1: It use to be that to do a really clean uninstall of AM you had to search through the registry for "hash" and remove a couple of entries. It seems like Hash has to its credit added the removal of registry entries to its uninstall process. Besides "hash" is there anything else I should search for?

Question 2: During the install there are now several options. One is whether or not to install SSE4. What is SSE4 and, if you know, the pros and cons of installing it?

Question 3: Related to the above...what would be the pros and cons for installing the Timelog plug-in?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Rusty

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

1) i don't know.

2) I don't get that option, probably because i don't have an SSE4 CPU. SSE4 are extra CPU instructions that help the CPU plow through some data faster. I don't know of any downside so go for it.

3) Timelog? I hadn't noticed it.

• Admin
Question 1: It use to be that to do a really clean uninstall of AM you had to search through the registry for "hash" and remove a couple of entries. It seems like Hash has to its credit added the removal of registry entries to its uninstall process. Besides "hash" is there anything else I should search for?

In all my years of using A:M I have maybe edited the registry once and that was to experiment to see what would happen.

Sorry, can't help you here. The equivalent of this for me is to purchase a new computer every couple years or update the operating system (when ideal).

That helps to keep all the cobwebs clear.

Question 2: During the install there are now several options. One is whether or not to install SSE4. What is SSE4 and, if you know, the pros and cons of installing it?

What Robert said. Not all computers/graphics cards have SSE4. If you do have it, installing the drivers should help accelerate computations.

Additional Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4

Question 3: Related to the above...what would be the pros and cons for installing the Timelog plug-in?

Pro: You could use the Timelog to track how long you use A:M (useful for billing client purposes)

Cons: You'd still have to track the timelog entries and if not needed it's an unnecessary event that launches with A:M.

SSE4 / SSE3 has actually to do with the CPU not the GPU. It is a set of commands which is meant to make certain operations faster.

As far as I know, only Intel CPU of the newer generations can use SSE4 (I may be wrong with the new AMDs since there is a little bit of trouble with namen... AMDs SSE4a is not the same as SSE4.1 from Intel and so on...

If you can use SSE4 you may use it... Yoda himself does use it, I for instance can't use it... if you are having trouble, to to install the version without it...

It can speed up things a little, but not that incredible much that it would be of any good if you have other problems with it.

See you

*Fuchur*