Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Smart skin question

Being the impatient person I am, have never really got around to SSing properly. In order to improve, that needs to be addressed so, have watched a couple of useful tutorials on how to do it, and tried the exercise in TOAM. My question is,

How much can be put in one SS relationship ?

For example,

The hand bone is rotated through 90degrees ( in the Y plane ? ) as if to say 'Stop". The SS is then set.

If the hand bone is now rotated ( in the x plane? ) , as if to give the thumbs down. Does that require a new SS, or can it be incorporated into the first one ?

Hope thats a clear question .

regards

simon

PS

Supplemental

Using the 2008 rig, do you use the main finger bones for SS or can you doit with the curling Nulls ?

( The Curling Nulls sounds like a 70's prog band ! )

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use one RS for that, but I would not recommend it...

If you need to delete one thing or edit keyframes, etc. it can be tricky and it will very likely be hard to separated the influences of the different rotations/etc. from eachother.

See you

*Fuchur*

You can use one RS for that, but I would not recommend it...

If you need to delete one thing or edit keyframes, etc. it can be tricky and it will very likely be hard to separated the influences of the different rotations/etc. from each other.

Gerald

Thank you for your reply.

Can I just check with you,

do you mean NO to using the Nulls ?

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
If the hand bone is now rotated ( in the x plane? ) , as if to give the thumbs down. Does that require a new SS, or can it be incorporated into the first one ?

I presume you are just talking about what the wrist has to do for those two poses? Since it's all about the the same bone rotating and about two extremes at opposite ends of the motion range, i would say put them in the same smartskin.

Now you have two completely different answers! :lol:

Multiple Smartskin keys work best when they are evenly spaced, for example at

-90, 0, 90

or

-80, -40, 0, 40, 80

The fewer keys you can get away with, the better.

I do ALL of the smartskins for a bone in one relationship.

See this series of videos for boring details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0kRXN1XU7g...BF44797CD8BC2A3

On my current model, I have even dispensed with fan bones! I weight the joint, then in my test action I roll the bone 90º or so and fix the squeeze in the smartskin relationship. I move through all of the extreme positions in that action, right-clicking and going back into the smartskin1 relationship to reshape the mesh

I do ALL of the smartskins for a bone in one relationship.

See this series of videos for boring details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0kRXN1XU7g...BF44797CD8BC2A3

On my current model, I have even dispensed with fan bones! I weight the joint, then in my test action I roll the bone 90º or so and fix the squeeze in the smartskin relationship. I move through all of the extreme positions in that action, right-clicking and going back into the smartskin1 relationship to reshape the mesh

William

Thank you for your reply and information. Off to watch it now.

regards

simon

I think I do it this way too... I remember trying to set the bone angle at easy-to-get-back-to angles... like 45 or 90 deg- so if I need to tweek it later on I know where to set the bone angle at.

• Hash Fellow
I think I do it this way too... I remember trying to set the bone angle at easy-to-get-back-to angles... like 45 or 90 deg- so if I need to tweek it later on I know where to set the bone angle at.

I'll note that the Next/Last Keyframe buttons will take you directly to exact keyframes.