sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

4k TV/theater gear

Roger

• *A:M User*

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-34451_1-57561173/...h-4k-tv-at-ces/

Am I the only one that doesn't see a point to this? I mean, for digital projection in a commercial environment, yeah I can see that but 4k gear in the home, when most people don't even have 1080P? I guess I don't see the point. Do they plan on upscaling Blu-ray until native 4k content becomes available? I have to think anything less than Blu-ray that was up-scaled would look horrendous.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose you could put 4 HD programs on it and everyone in the family could watch their own corner.

Somehow, that would not surprise me. I can't decide if reality is parodying Sci-fi or the other way 'round. I imagine you'll have a 100" 4k TV with 5000 channels, and there will still be nothing but crap on.

A 4k resolution 27" or 30" monitor might be really nice, would take a heck of a video card to drive it, though.

Am I the only one that doesn't see a point to this? I mean, for digital projection in a commercial environment, yeah I can see that but 4k gear in the home, when most people don't even have 1080P? I guess I don't see the point. Do they plan on upscaling Blu-ray until native 4k content becomes available? I have to think anything less than Blu-ray that was up-scaled would look horrendous.

I try not to be cynical but, general motors it was who came up with the idea of inbuilt obsolescence, the shift from one technology to another is often accompanied by a huge amount of back sales as people adopt the new but want to see/hear their favourites from the early medium. Think of the shift from vinyl to CD in music, video tape to DVD? The new technology providers hope that you will be so impressed by the improved quality that you'll do the same with the new media.

simon

I try not to be cynical but, general motors it was who came up with the idea of inbuilt obsolescence, the shift from one technology to another is often accompanied by a huge amount of back sales as people adopt the new but want to see/hear their favourites from the early medium. Think of the shift from vinyl to CD in music, video tape to DVD? The new technology providers hope that you will be so impressed by the improved quality that you'll do the same with the new media.

simon

Yeah, I'm kinda fed up with this concept. :)

I don't have a ton of DVDs, maybe around 50 or so? I can't see myself rebuying that collection. I did get Bladerunner on Blu-ray for Christmas, there are a handful of other movies that I may buy on Blu-ray also, but the bulk of my collection I don't enjoy nearly enough to bother.

I am generally trying to be less cynical as well(I think that was one of my resolutions last year). However, I think the powers that be realized what a goof they made when they created formats that will last nearly forever, and not require replacing due to wear-and-tear. Their ultimate dream is you don't own anything, and just pay for access. It is a lot better (for them) for you to pay a monthly service fee until the end of time than it is for you to own a physical thing, that if taken care of, will last a generation or two.

They want to limit or eliminate fair use, the right of first sale (basically your right to re-sell your copy of The Wall to your friend after you're sick of it) and anything else they can.

• Hash Fellow

Well, at least when GM did built-in obsolescence they sold you a car that really would fall apart after two years and you had to get a new car.

But I've got VHS tapes from the 80's that still play fine and they're telling me i shouldn't be watching them anymore. :lol:

Well, at least when GM did built-in obsolescence they sold you a car that really would fall apart after two years and you had to get a new car.

But I've got VHS tapes from the 80's that still play fine and they're telling me i shouldn't be watching them anymore. :lol:

I still have all my Red Dwarf and Fawlty Towers VHS tapes that I need to digitize, because I don't really feel like buying them over again on DVD or Blu-ray. I haven't played them in ages, but I'm pretty sure they would still play. I have a replacement VHS/DVD unit that I bought on clearance so I would have something to do that project with. I can't imagine you'll be able to find VHS players for too much longer.

I guess I wasn't as bothered about the VHS to DVD transition as I am about the Blu-ray/HD to 4k transition. I don't think I ever owned more than a dozen VHS tapes at any time. Even my DVD collection is not that large, compared to some.

We haven't even had HD all that long, though, and they are already replacing it. I guess I don't see the need, given you would have to have a 70 to 100" screen before you would notice the difference. I think with anything under 50" it is really hard to tell the difference between 720P and 1080P, especially if you are seated at a normal viewing distance.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 4k projector with a 100" screen, but I'm definitely not being an early adopter and I sure as hell am not going to replace my content library :)

I can't even imagine what a standard def signal would look like blown up on a 100" screen, probably absolutely awful.

Just to chuck in a very Mundane note here,

My living room is about 10ft x 15ft. I'm sure most lounges are more substantial than that but. who has a space big enough to take such a screen and how far back would you have to be not to get motion sickness when something moves violently on screen?

The Luddite.

Just to chuck in a very Mundane note here,

My living room is about 10ft x 15ft. I'm sure most lounges are more substantial than that but. who has a space big enough to take such a screen and how far back would you have to be not to get motion sickness when something moves violently on screen?

The Luddite.

My living room is not much bigger than yours, say 15x15 feet? I think you would have to be sitting at least 15 to 20 feet back. I think a TV that big would probably dominate whatever room it was in, unless you had a 20x30 great room or something. Even in a big room, it would really stand out.

I'm about 12 or 15 feet away from my TV and it is just about right, if the distance were halved it would be a bit much, I think. So I'm pretty sure if you had a 100" screen you would want to be at least 15 if not 20 feet away from it.

I'm sure someone out on the Tubes somewhere has a fancy chart all drawn up.

As far as 4k phones, aren't the Retina display iPads about half that, now? Probably 5 years, tops. I know the next version of Tegra is supposed to support 4k (I think).

• 2 weeks later...