Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Current Industry Animation Rates

rusty

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TV commercial... games...web... SFX... 4K, 2K(HD), D1... rendered-non-rendered... character(s) or logo... LOTS of factors involved, Rusty. Most people charge by hour.

So do I...but my rates haven't changed in many years. I charge $50 an hour unless they expect me to burn the mid-night oil for a rush and then it's $100 for over-time and I won't take projects that require more then a week of OT. A client wanted to know what the current screen second rate was and I have no idea. One job is an intro to a pod-cast...pretty simple really. Another is a 60 second book trailer...no details yet on this yet.

• Hash Fellow

I think a good answer to the client would be...

"There are so many variable factors in animation now that 'cost-per-second' isn't a reliable metric anymore. Projects need to be to be defined, budgeted and bid as a turn-key whole."

They always ask for costs per second... that is just not a good way to measure it... I often try to explain it this way: Animate a ball in an empty screen-space vs animating a whole city...

It is always about how complex the scene is... and it is how much have to be modelled and at which quality. They very likely expect todays movie-quality but are willing to pay for a b-movie from 1970s.

In general it is no use to tell them that... just ask them what they want, calculate your costs (what you think it will take). Than give them 3 options: One for low quality, mid-quality and high-quality...

And dont forget to fix how many changing-rounds are included... In general give at least one, maybe two... if they have more changes, tell them that they are going to get out of that range BEFORE you do the round.

Most will go for mid-quality, so this one should be calculated reasonable.

See you

*Fuchur*