sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Paddington Bear v Gene Kelly

Simon Edmondson

I'd never seen this before tonight but its well worth a look ?

And, this is what is was a part of. I was thinking of trying something like this with AM. Its a combination of stop motion and drawn animation with the drawn parts as flats in the 3D scene. Quite innovative in its time ( 80's I think )

simon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmr2-lwXNLw...feature=related

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of trying something like this with AM.

I used an old Fred & Ginger dance routine

(slo mo starts around 1:01) as a basis for the dancing in my last animation

Unfortunately my youtube capture that I used for "fred and ginger" was of very low quality, and this slo mo clip wasn't around at the time (or more likely I missed it). I also don't like the sound clip that I eventually ended up using for my animation (ruins the feel), but I was getting very tired of doing it, and just wanted to get it done.

I now see that there is much more detail and nuance in the slo-mo clip, that would have helped immensely. However, I found that using a video as a roto, gets very mechanical, and boring in the process.

Nancy

I hadn't seen your animation before and I agree with Rodney it is very impressive. Great work. Shame you missed the deadline you were aiming for. Have you applied to any festivals with it ?

I did a routine a few years ago based on the Fred Astaire, 'Top Hat' and tails routine. It was done to try and raise sponsorship for my nephew in his aspiring race driver career. I never finished it properly because the people in the marketing dept we were sending it to, started keeling over with stress and we got overlooked.

The stop motion of Paddington was done in 1980 I think, which was before they had the benefits of video playback on set (?). I did a workshop a few years back with the directer/animator, Barry Leith, who outlined the armature method I told you about. I think it was shot on film but could be wrong on that.

I loved the way it was animated but it was the visual style of it that I meant. The play between PB in 3D with all the textures of a real object and the human characters that were were drawn on flats, and the 3D world which is often made to look hand drawn. I've had an idea for a project using garden gnomes and humans, bubbling in the background for a long time and the stylistic look of Paddington was how I was thinking of doing it, but in AM.

Regards

simon