• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

What sort of model is it?

A:M can import .OBJ and .3DS polygonal models but it doesn't import things like bones or morph targets that a rigged character model typically has. I know of no software converter that will do all of that.

Most polygonal models are made of far more "faces" than a good A:M model needs and are unpleasant to work with in A:M. Models made of triangular faces are very poor candidates for import into A:M.

Rigid mechanical objects such as cars or furniture, that don't need to be rigged or edited can work well in A:M using the Objects>Import>Prop option.

What sort of model is it?

A:M can import .OBJ and .3DS polygonal models but it doesn't import things like bones or morph targets that a rigged character model typically has. I know of no software converter that will do all of that.

Most polygonal models are made of far more "faces" than a good A:M model needs and are unpleasant to work with in A:M. Models made of triangular faces are very poor candidates for import into A:M.

Rigid mechanical objects such as cars or furniture, that don't need to be rigged or edited can work well in A:M using the Objects>Import>Prop option.

OK, I have a train model in obj format. However, it imports as one large object into A:M and I cannot select anything individually in order to add bones for such like making the wheels turn. Any ideas?

Not an expert... it sounds like you may have imported it as a prop- uneditable. Did you import it into a choreography -or into a blank model...?

-IF you importred it into a chor- it will be a prop, if you import into a model (make a fresh new model, RMB/import...) then it should come in as editable geometry. Might take some time on larger files, let it work.

Not an expert... it sounds like you may have imported it as a prop- uneditable. Did you import it into a choreography -or into a blank model...?

-IF you importred it into a chor- it will be a prop, if you import into a model (make a fresh new model, RMB/import...) then it should come in as editable geometry. Might take some time on larger files, let it work.

I imported into choreography which explains my problem. I'm now trying to import it into a blank model and my computer has been chugging away at the import for more than 10 minutes. I suppose that's normal? If A:M is having trouble will it time out?

• Admin
OK, I have a train model in obj format. However, it imports as one large object into A:M and I cannot select anything individually in order to add bones for such like making the wheels turn. Any ideas?

If you separate the parts of the train individually in your other program and then import those as Props you'll be able to texture and manipulate them separately.

I would separate the parts even if trying to convert them into A:M Models.

Your right, it works. thanks for the help.

If you separate the parts of the train individually in your other program and then import those as Props you'll be able to texture and manipulate them separately.

I would separate the parts even if trying to convert them into A:M Models.

We thought about it. Its an idea to think about if we need too.

• Hash Fellow

Notice the part I've bold-faced. ;)

As mentioned above, a good tactic for mechanical things is to separate the parts in the original program and import each as a separate prop model. Then in the chor you can constrain them together and animate the parts that need to animate.

It IS possible also to import Polygonal models directly into an A:M model window but most polygonal models are poor candidates for conversion to splines. It's free to try, none-the-less.

Notice the part I've bold-faced. ;)

As mentioned above, a good tactic for mechanical things is to separate the parts in the original program and import each as a separate prop model. Then in the chor you can constrain them together and animate the parts that need to animate.

It IS possible also to import Polygonal models directly into an A:M model window but most polygonal models are poor candidates for conversion to splines. It's free to try, none-the-less.

We may have to try this. We attempted a small mechanical model, a jeep downloaded from turbosquid, it took about 15 minutes, but imported well. Next we moved to something larger, a well detailed steam locomotive. The computer has been crunching on this for well over 15 hours now and is not done. We are using a temporary license for 3DMax to export the locomotive to an OBJ, however there are lots of settings to select and not sure which would be optimum for A:M. I am sure there is data that we don't need. There are also options when importing into A:M and not sure which settings would give us our model with the least amount of necessary data.

BTW, here is the train download if someone perhaps might help us convert it to an MDL for animation...

http://thefree3dmodels.com/stuff/vehicles/...tive/13-1-0-502

That links us to a .max file... not all of us have 3D Studio Max to convert it to a 3DS... since you have 3D Studio, can you try converting it to an obj file and try that?