Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Female WIP

Hello! This is my first post. I thought I needed some motivation because I've been very unmotivated lately.

Alas I am forced to show my unfinished model. I want the good people of Hash users to comment on the model

as I may not realize the flaws of my work because I have never shown it to anyone. You have to excuse the texture

because the bump mapping isn't finalized yet. Also it hasn't been lighted yet. It's just s render preview from

an Action window. Any constructive comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way,I am

using AM 8.0.

here's a preview:

Preview

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any constructive comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way,I am

using AM 8.0.

Very nice! Are you using a porcelain material, or is the model really that smooth?

The only areas I could see to improve would be the teeth (which look a little flat) and the ear.

I don't use any porcelain material, not any that I

know of. I wish I could. What do you mean by flat? The curvature of the

individual tooth or the upper teeth looks like its on the

same plane as the bottom teeth? Which area of the ear that I have

to improve?

What do you mean by flat? The curvature of the individual tooth or the upper teeth looks like its on the same plane as the bottom teeth?

Look at the left (viewer's right) outer upper incisor to see what I'm talking about. The tooth looks like it's extruded straight down, and (from this angle, at least) it looks like all the curvature in the front plane is at the extreme edges. Teeth aren't normally that flat; they're a bit more rounded.

Which area of the ear that I have to improve?

The antihelix looks very angular up at the top (between the scapha and the fossa triangularis).

Improvements?!?!?

As I always say on these types of threads, "I want her phone number!"

Seriously, that's some really impressive work, especially in v8.0. How the hell did you do the hair?

Wireframe, please! :):blink::)

• Admin

This is really awesome. Reminds me of someone... just can't figure out who.

genocelgirl.gif

The hair, skin, makeup... really neat. Has a japanese feel to it...

Please forgive my posting the picture here. I'll remove it if you say so.

I was afraid people might give up if they couldn't paste the link correctly.

Do you have a spline shot?

Hey Godfrey! Is this some kind of attack?

He he, just joking... :lol:

You are right. The cannines need some trimming. The thing about the ears,

you are right too, do you like pointy ones like the elves or droppy ones like the

beagles, your choice. I'll bookmark those links you've given me.

The hair is extruded through and through, from balls to bones. Decalled to taste,

copied, pasted rinsed repeated.

I'll get the render engine churning, here's the wireframe.

smilewire.jpg

:)

The hair is extruded through and through, from balls to bones. Decalled to taste,

copied, pasted rinsed repeated.

Damn, that's a lot of patches. Good result, though. The face mesh is just beautiful, too.

I think your ISP is blocking direct image links; at least that image didn't show up in my browser, so for anyone else like me, copy and paste this URL for the wireframe:

http://genocell.freewebpage.org/smilewire.jpg

Zach

I think your ISP is blocking direct image links; at least that image didn't show up in my browser, so for anyone else like me, copy and paste this URL for the wireframe:

That's not showing up here either.

genocell, you can upload a copy of your images directly to the Hash board, by using the "File attachments" box directly above the post/preview buttons. It's really handy when you're using a host that forbids linking from other sites. The downside is that you can only attach one image per post.

Whadaya mean? It showed up real good in my browser.

I don't know what works good, but attaching an image file

results in the browser to freeze after I click the

attach button.

Here's the rest of her. Some parts of her body really need some reduction.

Some of the Smart Skin isn't done yet. It's really tedious and boring doing all the

SS for the whole body. Only the thigh, waist and knees haven't been Smart Skinned yet.

testswhole75.jpg

Here's the link again

preview

My account has been suspended... WTH? That is why it can't link to the images.

As for attaching the image to the board, no luck. It say's Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded .

This is really unmotivating...

First of all: Wow. I like your sense of pushed proportions to her face. Unrealistic and still VERY attractively done- excellent artistic sense. Top notch.

Secondly: If you want, you can email me the shots and I'll post what you send to this thread. Keep in mind each image should be <1MB for this board. I'd love to see the stuff you have to post.

Just click on my handle for this board or go to my website and click on email

Thanks a lot for the comments y'all. I really needed it.

I just wish I could upgrade, you know? I would. Even 99 USD is a little

too much a burden for us poor fools. :( I sometimes really hope

someone would give me the new CD for free. That would be fun! :P

Then again, the guys at HASH would surely be pissed. I know. Developing a top notch 3d Animation is no easy task.

Enough ranting.

Let's get back to work.

Cheers!

You mean, like working for a company or sell models?

I don't have any credentials to work for a company

and it's hard to get profits from selling models these days.

Anyways,

This is the character that I'm supposed to depict from one

of my illustrations a while back. As you already know,

I got carried away and lost the comic-ish style when I

translate it into 3D. Can't resist the lure of realistic characters.

AW1o.jpg

Reference

Do I get too carried away? Is the costume okay? Or is it too

action heroish?

Years ago I wouldn't dream of translating it into 3D. AM made

this possible. I thought I would stuck on paper forever!

• Admin

You've definitely got the popular style of comics down.

What I find most amazing though is how well you translated your pencil/comic style into 3D.

Wish I could say the same.

I guess the problem with me is that I have too many styles.

With your comic orientation I sure hope you are working toward a submission for this months comic contest...

*Added: The 'costume' looks fine to me!

looking at her ears, the outer ridge seems overly thin. everything else about the character is slightly unrealistic... which is the essence of 'style'. good job!

the wardrobe is just fine. not quite business casual, but i've seen teens wear far worse.

keep it up!

-jon

Very nice. One of the best, of her kind, that I've seen. She does look a little mesh heavy but, well done.

nit-pics: The line from the nose to the corner of the mouth seems a little harsh, for her age, in the first pic, and the ear is a little "deflated", as others have said. It just needs to be plumped out, a tiny bit.

The last image with the smirk expression is excellent. The way you've got the lips cheeks and nose working is right on. Those lips are killing me.

Mike Hart

PS - the hair is beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late post. I thought I just post to tell that I'm still alive...

Been totally busy with school exams. Time is a luxury I rarely have. Progress has been reeeeeaaallly slooooowww......... I only manage to do only minor things since

the last update. I lighted her. I'm not very good at lighting though, (actually I suck!). I dont use the render to file because I do not have the time...

You have to right click on the link and Copy Shortcut

(the URL) and paste it onto the address bar of the browser

preview

preview

I am still unsatisfied by the 'look' of the image. It has this 'cartoonish' look to it. All of my lighted renders are. I'm sure it's my fault... From what I can observe the v 11 renders are fantabulistic. Just look at Mr Talbot's lighted characters. The 'warm' look is irrefutable. I have the uttermost predilection of his renders. His technique is a descry higher up from my ability.

Is v11 rendering output superior by leaps and bound from v8?

If I lighted my model in v11 using the same light setup as I would in v8

will the quality and the 'look' differ?

Thanks, later...

• Admin

Reza,

You should be able to upload the occasional updates right into your post!

Look for the place to type the location of your file down below where you are typing your post. When you click submit, the graphic will upload with your post.

Don't know that this will work in all instances though...

BTW - Here is (the first of) your two latest updates for those who cannot access via copy/paste.

laugheye.jpg

You should be able to upload the occasional updates right into your post!

Look for the place to type the location of your file down below where you are typing your post. When you click submit, the graphic will upload with your post.

No luck... my browser says:

"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\http\forums\index.php"

Maybe because the connection speed of my prehistoric modem, I'm not sure.

Thanks anyway. :)

Could the "doesn't feel right" be coming from the difference between your drawing having larger eyes than the 3d model? The smallness of the eyes has been bothering me all along. If it weren't for that, I would have asked for her phone number. :)

Tell you what, I'll buy you the upgrade, but I'll send it along with some lipstick for her -- the poor dear needs some color! (the entire preceding sentence is 100% joke, unfortunately!)

What are the render times like, given all those hair patches?

Jim

Could the "doesn't feel right" be coming from the difference between your drawing having larger eyes than the 3d model?  The smallness of the eyes has been bothering me all along.  If it weren't for that, I would have asked for her phone number. :)

Tell you what, I'll buy you the upgrade, but I'll send it along with some lipstick for her -- the poor dear needs some color! (the entire preceding sentence is 100% joke, unfortunately!)

What are the render times like, given all those hair patches?

Jim

What I meant by "doesn't feel right" is the rendering is not

as "soft" and "warm" as others that I've seen done in the latest AM version.

What I drew is just for general reference. I've tried converting the style directly

into 3D... didn't like it though... she looks bug eyed and it scares the hell

out of me. Anyway I'm not doing the Greg Hildebrandt style though.

Her eyes looks small in the picture of the last post

because she is supposed to be laughing. (when we laugh our eyes squint a bit),

or that is what I am supposed to believe.

The other rendered pictures make her eyes look smaller than usual is

because it is 45 degress to the right and she squints her eyes a bit (10% at the

pose slider).

I worked the proportion of the eyes out of a real photograph of a Caucasian female, so I do not think it is too small though, in my opinion.

I wish I could post images any easier but here's a front view of her not squinting :

preview

And another old test rendering:

preview

The render time with the shadow on and with the hair patches showing is

horrendous! It would take days. If I did not made the hair patches that heavy it would show her scalp, and I do not want that either. It's maybe beacuse of the v8 renderer,

I don't know. Go with the new hair. Don't bother using this method. It's

a curse to the AM renderer.

Anyway I really appreciate your comment.

Thank you sir.

PS: And for me giving her more colors, I am doing it at the moment...

Please stand by...

Thats a really nice model, and the hair.... <<Shudder>> Gives me chills think it's all hand layed. Here are some suggestions on what catches my eye. The forehead seems very spline sparse which calls into question how you plan on handling wrinkles when her bows move up? Secondly the smile pose is very nice, but when I compare it to the non smile pose I notice that there isn't any nostril wing movement. This is one of the most often over looked aspects of peoples faces. With out nostril wing movement the lower face will always some how seem dead when animating. There is something not reading quite right at the base of the neck where the neck muscles join the chest. I can't offer any suggestions with out seeing this area from different angles. My last comment is more of a nit pick than any thing. I personally think the eyebrows look to groomed. I get the feeling you want them to look plucked, but even when plucked there is usually a bit more straying of hairs around the edges; however, I'm also wondering if the reason it is reading this way is due to the general darkness of the brows at the edges. When the hairs of an eye brow get closer to the edge there is less overlap, and more of a skin tone to the hairs. As it stands the hairs at the edge are reading just as dark as the hairs in the middle of the brow. This creates the perceived hard transition, and is probably why I feel it looks to well groomed. All things a side, this is still a great model.

• Admin
No luck... my browser says:

"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\http\forums\index.php"

I get that with almost every post I make. That shouldn't stop the image from uploading though... I use the backspace button twice then refresh and I see my post (with graphics if loaded).

We probably need to clean out out browser caches to make the error go away.

Just so you and I are seeing the same thing here's a screen shot.

Note the File Attachment area with D:\Example.gif typed in.

Browse for your file *on your harddrive* and select it.

Then click the "Add Reply" button.

Apologies if you are doing this already.

Example.gif

• Admin

Reza,

For the record the error I get when posting is:

"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\http\forums\sources\Drivers\mySQL.php on line 101"

Line 101 is makin' me mad! :lol:

Added: I dropped a note in the Forum Support Forum. :)