Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2d Platform Games

tbenefi33

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Multimedia fusion 2 by click Team is a great little piece of software. The coding is all event based so you set a variable like say "Collision between player and enemy" then you can set the results such as play damaged animation, play hit sample, decrease life variable by 10.

It also has a crap load of plugins available so you can play with things like mode 7 graphics (Original Mario kart, pilot wings). The sprite editor is robust in an mspaint kind of way but you can make your sprites super detailed in photoshop and import them with an alpha channel. Oh and although I've never used the function myself it can also export to flash and iOS but you have to pay extra for the plugins.

So yeah if you're looking for something easy to use that requires very little coding experience then Multimedia Fusion 2 is a good choice.

Other than that there's Game Maker from yoyo games. It's a little more involved but also has basic 3d support in the pro version (Think doom level), it also has event based coding, but if you're comfortable learning it then it also has its own programming language called GML that lets you write every line of code if you so wish.

If you search google for MMF2 platform engine etc you can find engines that are pre-made, same with game maker. I was working on a 3d sonic game for about a year before I started putting all my time into the show, so I haven't had a chance to work on it recently.

www.clickteam.com for MMF2 (Demo available - $119 dollars for the personal version (all exported games will have a little splash screen saying it was made in MMF2 and should not have been sold) $369 for developer version (License to sell the games)

www.yoyogames.com/make for Game Maker 8.1 free lite version available or $39.99 (bargain) for the full version that has all the features unlocked.

Hope that helps

Sounds cool. You gonna A:M the game resources or you goin' for a hi-res 2d ard or more 16bit sprite styled. for my game Sonic:True Blue I made the base characters and animations in 3d coz I find 3d animation easier and then brought each frame into photoshop and made it look hand drawn (I know totally cheating). I should see if I can find all that stuff it should be on my old laptop somewhere.

The sprite editor is robust in an mspaint kind of way...

Filed under "back-handed compliments" :D

Well I'm just sayin' if you're aiming for this kinda thing.

bass.png then the built in sprite editor will work fine.

But if you want something like this.

odinspheresjsbor.jpg,odin_sphere_425_screen.jpg

Then MMF2 can support the artwork but you're better off not trying to draw it in the sprite editor.

I flip flopped between toon and standard render. At the time I didn't know you could make the toon render do more than 1 flat color. If i did it again I'd probs set toon render to 3 or 4 shades then stylize it in photoshop. but I also liked the standard 3D looking render with a black outline. This isn't good for my productivity ya know I keep thinking about revisiting the old project lol.

sonic.mov Found this on my facebook page. I was so proud of that model and now it just makes me cringe. I'd definitely use my new Sonic model if I did it all again.

Here are some other great tools you can create 2D games with and are cross platform.

* Game Maker Studio (WIN, OSX, Android, IOS, HTML5)

* AppGameKit (WIN, OSX, Android, IOS, IntelUP, Bada)

* Gideros Studio (Android, IOS)

* Monkey (WIN, OSX, Android, IOS, HTML5, PS Vita, XBOX360, Windows Phone)

Wildside nice work on the sonic.

I was just thinking, think a render as a image sequence might work as side view for 2d.

That's what I did for true blue. made each animation sequence as an action, set the camera to the in game camera angle (Top down 3/4 isometric angle in my case) then rendered out an image sequence for forward, forward right, right, down right and down. Could have done the other angles but because I was stylising them in photoshop I just flipped the image sequence for the missing directions. I only went with 8 directions but mmf2 (and game maker if I remember) supports up to 32 directions for each animation sequence if you wanted something that smooth.