sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M on a slate

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

We have previously wondered about A:M on an iPad.

Well... not possible right now, but here's A:M (v13) on a slate!

AMonSlate.jpg

This is a six-year old Motion Computing LE1600 running Windows XP Tablet. No Keyboard, all pen input. It has a Wacom pen so it's like having a portable Cintiq for $150.

It has a 1.5GHz Pentium M in it with 1.5 GB RAM and does the Benchmark scene in 20:20 which is not much worse than my old Athlon XP 3200 Desktop PC. Screen Res 1024x768 which is also what i was running my old desktop at.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

plus S&H, of course.

I've only begun to tinker with it, so I haven't tried everything.

Browsing is fine, it plays Youtube videos fine. Startup is rather slow, I suppose an SSD would fix that but that would be at least another $100 and probably overkill for what I need this for.

It had Alias Sketch installed and that seemed pretty responsive for drawing.

The handwriting recognition is pretty good, I'm impressed. Haven't tried the speech recognition.

The screen is a "View Anywhere" screen but it would be tough to use outside on a sunny day. It's above average, however. The 12" screen is a bit large as tablets go.

The big downside of this model is they dont' make new batteries for it anymore and 3rd parties don't either. Mine is tired it, gets about an hour run time. I might look into a "Universal" battery which is basically a battery in a box you plug into the regular power input on any laptop.

The other economical tablet I was looking at was the the HP TC1100, but that was a 10" screen and somewhat less powerful and no lighter. This is 3 pounds.

If you do look on ebay, look for complete ones. Don't get anything missing a stylus, RAM, HD, OS or battery... those cost too much individually to round up.

Here's a forum that has reviews of various tablet PCs if you are curious.

• Hash Fellow

I've been experimenting with my "View Anywhere" screen.

It's a bit better than my first impression. The trick to using it outdoors is have something dark behind you so there isn't a bright reflection in the glass. It has an anti-reflective coating which helps a lot but giving it less to reflect is important.

It's certainly better than the LCD displays on cameras I have which are invisible outdoors.

If you're thinking of an LE1600, I'd strongly recommend the "View Anywhere" version.

We have previously wondered about A:M on an iPad.

Well... not possible right now, but here's A:M (v13) on a slate!

post-544-1321226291_thumb.jpg

This is a six-year old Motion Computing LE1600 running Windows XP Tablet. No Keyboard, all pen input. It has a Wacom pen so it's like having a portable Cintiq for $150.

It has a 1.5GHz Pentium M in it with 1.5 GB RAM and does the Benchmark scene in 20:20 which is not much worse than my old Athlon XP 3200 Desktop PC. Screen Res 1024x768 which is also what i was running my old desktop at.

Thats cool i gotta get me one :yay: