Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need Win Vista Help-Keeps Crashing

I just bought, downloaded, and installed v16.0a. I have been using AM since 95, and have never had this problem. I have, but it's been manageable. To summarize, it simply crashes. To be more specific, I am using Windows Vista SP1 x64. I am running it on a HP dv4 Entertainment Notebook PC. I am downloading, but haven't installed the latest graphics driver as well as SP2. However, I don't think the version of Windows is the problem. I have gone into the tools>options>global and tried to change my real time drivers but i only have one option: OpenGL. I am bewildered that this computer's graphics drivers only support that and not Direct3D as well, but it is what it is.

The actual problem is that regardless of what I do, it crashes. I can open my model files by doubleclicking on the icon in Windows Explorer, but if i try to open it from the program itself, it crashes. That's not entirely true. If the program is in a generic "Project1" mode, the files will open and show the wireframe. I can get it to show me the shaded mode, but if I try to view it in perspective, the program crashes. If I open the model file in Project1, and then save it as a named Project file, and then try to import another model, it crashes. If I try to change the render settings to anything but "Custom" it crashes.

What can I do?

Even if I try to create a new model, it crashes. That tells me that it isn't the files themselves. Could it be a permissions problem? Like maybe the program can't be run completely unless I am an administrator? I don't think that's the case since I have administrator rights on my computer. and no one else has access to it.

Am I missing a necessary file. Or is my computer just not able to run the program?

Really getting annoyed. ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to the forum! Welcome back to A:M!

I am downloading, but haven't installed the latest graphics driver as well as SP2.

Updating video card drivers has usually turned out to be the solution here.

Do that (and the SP2) and then let us know what happens.

A sidenode, because it will not really help you at first, but:

You may want to consider to upgrade to Windows 7... it is just the MUCH better Operation System

and should give you much less headache (and I am not talking only about A:M)

See you

*Fuchur*

Do you get an error message or does the program simply just quit on you?

Did you try the 32 bit version just for giggles? Might be a chance that your system is 32 bit and not 64?

Lack of resources might contribute to any program just shutting down especially in the case on laptops that have built in video that shares the system memory.

Windows 7 is definitely a worth while upgrade. I bought a vista upgrade and had it installed for almost 2 days before I got fed up and went back to XP until 7 came out.

Just a couple things to check out.

Did you try the 32 bit version just for giggles? Might be a chance that your system is 32 bit and not 64?

Lack of resources might contribute to any program just shutting down especially in the case on laptops that have built in video that shares the system memory.

Windows 7 is definitely a worth while upgrade. I bought a vista upgrade and had it installed for almost 2 days before I got fed up and went back to XP until 7 came out.

Yes I get the message "Animation Master has stopped working"

I have the latest graphics drivers installed, but that hasn't helped.

we'll see if SP2 does the trick...

I was wondering if there is a program conflict. I have v16 and v12 on this computer. I can't use 12 because I lost my cd

but it's still on here. I am also running an external HD that has XP on it, but that's where all my model files are. Just wondering

if that could be the problem. Still gonna try the SP2 upgrade though.

• Hash Fellow
I was wondering if there is a program conflict. I have v16 and v12 on this computer.

I doubt that is the trouble (They did get installed into separate folders for V12 and V16, right?)

I have V9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 and 16 installed and they all seem to run.

I am also running an external HD that has XP on it, but that's where all my model files are. Just wondering

if that could be the problem.

I'm doubtful about that too but it's easy to test. Copy some models (and any bitmaps or other assets they need) to your regular drive and see what happens.

Still gonna try the SP2 upgrade though.
Definitely, even aside from A:M.

I was wondering if there is a program conflict. I have v16 and v12 on this computer.

I doubt that is the trouble (They did get installed into separate folders for V12 and V16, right?)

I have V9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 and 16 installed and they all seem to run.

I am also running an external HD that has XP on it, but that's where all my model files are. Just wondering

if that could be the problem.

I'm doubtful about that too but it's easy to test. Copy some models (and any bitmaps or other assets they need) to your regular drive and see what happens.

Still gonna try the SP2 upgrade though.
Definitely, even aside from A:M.

Tested the files directly from the main computer's hard drive. It still crashes when I try to do simple things. I read a previous post about checking to verify if I actually have a 64 bit version of Win Vista. I do. I started to wonder if the files themselves are the problem. They were all created with version 11, on an XP computer. I got a patch from tech support that allowed my V11 cd to run on Vista, and it worked just fine. I had to switch desktop themes, but it did work. I was wondering since they were all created using a 32 bit version, if that is the actual problem. Maybe the computer itself is trying to interpret between the two versions. Then I thought about it. I've tried using a blank Project1 and starting a completely new model from scratch and it still crashes. I guess I'll know more when I get the SP2 installed. Seeing as how I am having these problems, I am not really confident that it will fix them. I could be wrong. Sometimes, you just have that feeling in your gut, you know.

screen.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Tested the files directly from the main computer's hard drive. It still crashes when I try to do simple things. I read a previous post about checking to verify if I actually have a 64 bit version of Win Vista. I do. I started to wonder if the files themselves are the problem. They were all created with version 11, on an XP computer. I got a patch from tech support that allowed my V11 cd to run on Vista, and it worked just fine. I had to switch desktop themes, but it did work. I was wondering since they were all created using a 32 bit version, if that is the actual problem. Maybe the computer itself is trying to interpret between the two versions. Then I thought about it. I've tried using a blank Project1 and starting a completely new model from scratch and it still crashes. I guess I'll know more when I get the SP2 installed. Seeing as how I am having these problems, I am not really confident that it will fix them. I could be wrong. Sometimes, you just have that feeling in your gut, you know.

I have lots of V11 projects and they load fine for me today. And they were made with 32-bit Win2000 so I doubt the fact tht you were on XP was a problem either.

A:M files are just text files. There's nothing 32 or 64 about them.

What is the "simple thing" you do that makes A:M crash? Can you screencam this?

How about just uninstalling A:M and reinstalling it? Save (!) your master0.lic file before you do that and copy it back to the A:M folder after your reinstall.

How do I handle the lack of resources problem? I went in and adjusted the paging file size to what the system recommended, which was more that what was allocated and that didn't help. It's still crashing. I get "animation master has stopped working" and then it closes. grrrr...

Win 7 will have to wait, this was my one big purchase for the month. Thought this would be an answer to my not having my v11 cd anymore (I'm sure I still have it somewhere, I just can't find it) I probably should have looked at the system requirements before I bought the subscription version of the program, but I am wondering exactly what version of windows it was written for. If it specifically says Windows Vista SP2, then the upgrade I am dowloading should solve the problem. If it was written for Win 7, I am screwed. If it was written for Vista without any service packs, i don't know that upgrading will help. Chances are the files and drivers the program is looking for may not in the location it's looking for them in. Just annoyed rambling on my part. Sorry

What was the "patch" that made v11 run on vista? I have v11 and ran it today and it runs fine on win7 which is not radically different from vista.

It may have been v10, but I am pretty sure that it was v11. The patch upgraded me to V12 but still ran on my computer using my old CD, that I can't find.

I contacted support and they directed me to an ftp site with a link in the e-mail response. I installed it and it allowed it to run on my computer. Before that patch,

it wouldn't even install. I tried it. It told me "please insert 64 bit installer" or something like that.

I attached a screen example of just one of the simple things that cause the program to stop working...

screen2.jpg

How do I handle the lack of resources problem? I went in and adjusted the paging file size to what the system recommended, which was more that what was allocated and that didn't help. It's still crashing. I get "animation master has stopped working" and then it closes. grrrr...

Win 7 will have to wait, this was my one big purchase for the month. Thought this would be an answer to my not having my v11 cd anymore (I'm sure I still have it somewhere, I just can't find it) I probably should have looked at the system requirements before I bought the subscription version of the program, but I am wondering exactly what version of windows it was written for. If it specifically says Windows Vista SP2, then the upgrade I am dowloading should solve the problem. If it was written for Win 7, I am screwed. If it was written for Vista without any service packs, i don't know that upgrading will help. Chances are the files and drivers the program is looking for may not in the location it's looking for them in. Just annoyed rambling on my part. Sorry

If the problem is resources, what can I do? According to the manufacturer, this computer has 4GB of ram, and 1.7GB of Video memory. I noticed that AM can use up to 190 gb of RAM on a 64 bit system. The question is, is that what it's looking for? Is that why even the smallest action causes it to stop working? If so, will the 32 bit version run on this computer?

• Hash Fellow

I don't think resources are your problem if your computer is otherwise working normally. A:M doesn't need much by itself.

Definitely upgrade your Vista to whatever is the current current SP because there's no way they would have continued to develop and test v16 on an old version of Vista, but I don't think this is the significant problem either. Upgrade the SP if only because that has all the new windows fixes that you need anyway like security bug fixes.

Lots of people are using Vista here, so it's not that you have to upgrade to Win7.

When you say "the smallest thing"... what is that?

to do:

-Do the SP upgrade (what's taking so long on that?)

-save your master0.lic file and do a uninstall/reinstall of A:M

tell us what happens after you do those.

I still think there is some video card problem.

Did you do a system clean up? Defrag the drives and if you have a registry cleaner, run that too. Close background applications that are not needed.

Before even running AM, see what is running and if there is any intensive CPU usage while the machine is idle.

I used to use a popular antivirus program that conflicted with real time rendering of OpenGL which would cause my whole machine to go black. I would have to literally unplug the machine and start again. Of course the AV company blamed Nvidia and Nvidia blamed the AV company.

Usually when a program stops responding there is a chance it is just busy and if it does die on it's own that tends to be a lack space for the program to operate correctly (memory, swap space). Other things that can cause that is other programs running such as a virus, anti virus, anti malware that could be interfering with the program.

• Hash Fellow

I just saw the screen cap you posted. That's certainly "a small thing". I'd still like to see a screencam movie of that crashing if you can.

I can do that all day and not have a crash so there is definitely something glaringly, gapingly, unimaginably, fundamentally odd going on somewhere on your computer. :o

load this PRJ and tell me what happens.

simplePRJ.prj

I just saw the screen cap you posted. That's certainly "a small thing". I'd still like to see a screencam movie of that crashing if you can.

I can do that all day and not have a crash so there is definitely something glaringly, gapingly, unimaginably, fundamentally odd going on somewhere on your computer. :o

simplePRJ.prj

I just now had the time to try this out. I work an on call job and it's been pretty freakish. I downloaded and opened this file, and it loaded. Since I've now uninstalled and reinstalled AM, after saving the master0.lic file and putting it back in, it still does the same thing. I am using SP2, with the latest graphics drivers available for my machine. To date, I've tried adjusting the display settings, turned everything off in "selective startup", and completely uninstalled my antivirus software. Yeah, I know that's risky, but they were out of date anyway. The only thing I haven't done is to do a defrag and registry sweep. I am not so sure that will solve the problem. I used and installed my previous versions on machines that had never been defragged or had their registries cleaned up and they worked just fine, minus the occasional program crash because i had too much stuff running at once. The only things I have running on this computer right now are basic windows utilities. I may have to accept the fact that for whatever reason it just won't run on this machine :(

That sucks but it is what it is.

I don't have the ability to make a video of the program going down in flames, or I'd make one.

The short of it is, that anytime you try to do something whether it's opening a file, changing the project window, closing panels like the libraries and community

panels, changing model viewing modes, etc. It stops working. It does it when I try to make a new model. I can never get past the generic project phase to find out if anything else won't work.

simplePRJ.prj

I just now had the time to try this out. I work an on call job and it's been pretty freakish. I downloaded and opened this file, and it loaded. Since I've now uninstalled and reinstalled AM, after saving the master0.lic file and putting it back in, it still does the same thing. I am using SP2, with the latest graphics drivers available for my machine. To date, I've tried adjusting the display settings, turned everything off in "selective startup", and completely uninstalled my antivirus software. Yeah, I know that's risky, but they were out of date anyway. The only thing I haven't done is to do a defrag and registry sweep. I am not so sure that will solve the problem. I used and installed my previous versions on machines that had never been defragged or had their registries cleaned up and they worked just fine, minus the occasional program crash because i had too much stuff running at once. The only things I have running on this computer right now are basic windows utilities. I may have to accept the fact that for whatever reason it just won't run on this machine :(

That sucks but it is what it is.

I don't have the ability to make a video of the program going down in flames, or I'd make one.

The short of it is, that anytime you try to do something whether it's opening a file, changing the project window, closing panels like the libraries and community

panels, changing model viewing modes, etc. It stops working. It does it when I try to make a new model. I can never get past the generic project phase to find out if anything else won't work.

Just noticed this while I was going through my programs. As you can see every program except AM 16 is showing a program size. Is that normal? It seems to me that the program didn't install properly. It installed but not enough for Windows to recognize it as being fully installed. Is that even possible? I installed it from an exe that I downloaded from my subscription link. I assumed that it didn't matter whether I installed it directly from the Hash Store or a downloaded file. does it?

screen_3.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Well, this is quite a mystery and I recognize it's very disappointing for you.

I have quite a few programs, including Photoshop and A:M, that dont' report sizes in that control panel so I don't think that's a problem.

Just to try.... try a different installer.

Here's Hash's ftp page

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/

that has the current 32 and 64 bit installers. Since you are on a 64-bit machine you can use both. They will install to different folders and not overwrite each other.

Try the 32 bit version, copy your license to its install folder. If you can get to it, go to the Tools>Options>Global tab and switch "Realtime driver" to the other option.

That ftp page also has an "old" folder with the previous v16 installers in it. Try those if the above two don't work

Also to try... in the "v15" folder there is a v15 installer. Try AMWeb.exe. Your license may not run it, but you'll find out quick.

If all of those still crash, my money is still on some sort of video card setting. What kind of card do you have?

Have you done this setting? This sends Windows back to the stone age but solved a different display freeze on my computer:

DisplaySetting.JPG

Try all of the above and let us know what happens.

I have quite a few programs, including Photoshop and A:M, that dont' report sizes in that control panel so I don't think that's a problem.

Here's Hash's ftp page

that has the current 32 and 64 bit installers. Since you are on a 64-bit machine you can use both. They will install to different folders and not overwrite each other.

Try the 32 bit version, copy your license to its install folder. If you can get to it, go to the Tools>Options>Global tab and switch "Realtime driver" to the other option.

That ftp page also has an "old" folder with the previous v16 installers in it. Try those if the above two don't work

Also to try... in the "v15" folder there is a v15 installer. Try AMWeb.exe. Your license may not run it, but you'll find out quick.

If all of those still crash, my money is still on some sort of video card setting. What kind of card do you have?

Have you done this setting? This sends Windows back to the stone age but solved a different display freeze on my computer:

DisplaySetting.JPG

I have an Intel Mobile Express Series chipset. Thanks for the options. Yes, I did send Windows back to stone age already. I'll try the other ones. I'll see if that works. My money says that the 32 bit will probably work. Call it years of buying stuff and thinking that I have the hardware to run it only to find out that I don't. I know the 32 bit version doesn't suck up as many resources as the 64 bit version can. I have Photoshop CS4 on this machine and can run the 64 bit exe just fine. Then that is just photo editting. AM is slightly more than that. I'll have to try all that other stuff after work. It's gonna be a LONG day at work.

Thanks

• Hash Fellow
I have an Intel Mobile Express Series chipset.

This may be the problem. I wonder what it supports in terms of OpenGL and DirectX which i believe are needed for basic interface drawing and operating.

• Hash Fellow

Do you know what "series" of Intel Mobile Express you have?

Here's an odd little statement on an Intel page:

The latest graphics drivers will usually provide the best compatibility with games that use OpenGL. Graphics drivers that come with Microsoft Windows* or that are downloaded from Windows Update typically do not support OpenGL.

Why would they leave that out?

Just in case you got your drivers elsewhere you might want to check their download center

Here's Hash's ftp page

DisplaySetting.JPG

I have an Intel Mobile Express Series chipset. Thanks for the options. Yes, I did send Windows back to stone age already. I'll try the other ones. I'll see if that works. My money says that the 32 bit will probably work. Call it years of buying stuff and thinking that I have the hardware to run it only to find out that I don't. I know the 32 bit version doesn't suck up as many resources as the 64 bit version can. I have Photoshop CS4 on this machine and can run the 64 bit exe just fine. Then that is just photo editting. AM is slightly more than that. I'll have to try all that other stuff after work. It's gonna be a LONG day at work.

Thanks

Finally got a chance to try these suggestions...

I installed the 32 bit version on my machine. I changed the real time driver to Direct3Dv8 and now it works. It seems strange that the 64 bit version didn't give me the Direct 3D option. Guess my machine is one of those half and half deals. It's probably due to the integrated graphics thingy. Mind you, it's clunky and slow but it works. That's all I care about. I figure the slow part has to do with the fact that one of my models is nearly 6mb in size with over 300 bones, and some pretty advanced color settings. (Reflectivity, glass work, LOTS of moving parts, etc.) Um, yeah, I don't do anything half way. I'd post a movie of it in action, but it's too big...for my wireless aircard to handle. It had a hard enough time downloading the installers. Eventually, I'll be back on cable or some other DSL service and I'll upload my crude but totally cool transforming firetruck.

It's missing hands cause I suck at making realistic hands whether they're robotic or human...other wise it's a complete and mostly believable transition from vehicle to truck....that's what I use AM for.

got a youtube link if you want to see it...

Thanks for all your help....I'm sure I'll be around again with more questions as I play around with v16...

I have Intel Mobile Express Series Chipset 4. I didn't download my drivers from Intel, or Microsoft I downloaded the latest ones from HP, my machine's manufacturer. Once i installed the 32 bit version, found an option for Direct3D, which I set it to. Aside from the slowness, it hasn't crashed.

• Hash Fellow

Hooray! :yay:

I'm glad to hear we have at least partial success.

Direct3D isn't available in the 64-bit versions... yet. (Quicktime isn't available in 64-bit either).

Typically OpenGL works faster for everyone but if your video adapter doesn't like it, I'm glad there's still Direct3D for you.

I like your transforming vehicles. Yes, a 6mb model may be a little pokey in rel time, but shouldn't be a cause of crashing in itself.

The fact that Direct3D works for you and OpenGl doesn't is a strong indication that there is some sort of driver problem at work here.

When you've caught your breath you might check out the other options for drivers and see if they do better.

Hooray! :yay:

I'm glad to hear we have at least partial success.

Direct3D isn't available in the 64-bit versions... yet. (Quicktime isn't available in 64-bit either).

Typically OpenGL works faster for everyone but if your video adapter doesn't like it, I'm glad there's still Direct3D for you.

I like your transforming vehicles. Yes, a 6mb model may be a little pokey in rel time, but shouldn't be a cause of crashing in itself.

The fact that Direct3D works for you and OpenGl doesn't is a strong indication that there is some sort of driver problem at work here.

When you've caught your breath you might check out the other options for drivers and see if they do better.

If you can believe it, it took me nearly 6 months to build the truck, cut it up and make it change. I actually had to do it one half of the vehicle at a time.

The process was rather involved. First, I built the truck which was just a shell and some tires. Then I literally had to add bones, and animate as I was adding them to ensure that everything worked. That was after I storyboarded the sequence. Every single movement was hand inputted using the numerical position values with the position editor so that it all happened at exactly the precise interval. It was a total PAIN, but the end result was actually better than I had hoped and planned. It wasn't as dynamic as I would have liked, but then I don't have a rendering farm to handle the kind of stuff I'd like to do.