sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Any adv bevel guides?

wildcard

I've done plenty of cubes or other 90 degree shaped corners and beveled them, but when dealing with shapes that don't have those corners, I'm lost.

The plugin called zevel has it's use, but it's far from perfect and has it's limitations.

I'm currently trying to do some trial n error bevel tests on a pentagon, but am struggling with my patch work, even tho I can get the corners better looking the surface that should be flat has a curve and there are other patch/curve problems.

Did a quick search, but ik keep running in to cube bevel tutorials. These I can do, but a pentagon or octagon I'm unable to get looking good. Are there any guides that explain how to bevel corners and patch work with more details?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Generally you should build the bevel into any lathe or extrusion profile before you lathe or extrude. That covers most cases.

For flat shapes, the AI wizard will import an outline and put a bevel all around the edge.

Can you picture other cases are you trying to do?

Generally you should build the bevel into any lathe or extrusion profile before you lathe or extrude. That covers most cases.

For flat shapes, the AI wizard will import an outline and put a bevel all around the edge.

Can you picture other cases are you trying to do?

Currently at work, will add the project file when I get home, for I believe getting a good screenshot with the (minor) flat surface flaws (the curve) is hard to get a picture off.

Added the project file.

Mad_Cat___Food_Pad.prj

Included in the project file, the rough shape/design I'm aiming for, the rectangular flipper parts (toes and heel) I'm able to do, but have not started working on for the real challenge for me is the pentagon shaped center of the foot that I've been unable to bevel correctly.

Two test bevel attempts added, but I don't seem to be able to get rid of the curve, with out tweaking the bias handles

I had to remake the pentagons I was working on last night, it didn't look like I saved the project progress, must have been a rage quit moment as my beveled edges test didn't work.

I don't have Adobe Illustrator, so the AI wizard I've no use for. Unless there are other open source programs that can create and save in the required plugin format the AI needs to work with.

Making beveled n-gons the A:M way...

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=352714

:blink: :blink: :blink:

My Jaw dislocated and dropped on the floor...

:blink: :blink: :blink:

That looked so easy to do, the most frustrating part is how many hours I've been hammering away on my model and than to see how you just did all that with in less than a minute of work and to make it look good.

Next time I run in to a bevel problem, I'll ask first before I waist several hours of hair pulling frustration trying to resolve it my self. :unsure:

• Hash Fellow
That looked so easy to do, the most frustrating part is how many hours I've been hammering away on my model and than to see how you just did all that with in less than a minute of work and to make it look good.

Don't worry... it only take a mere 10 years of constant daily use to become proficient. ;)

But seriously... because toplogy is so important, A:M does take a bit more advance strategery than other modeling paradigms.

It's easy to build the bevels into a shape, difficult to add them later. The hard part is recognizing the easy way first.